Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radar detector

anybody use if so how do u install do you have to have to hard wire

Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Default RE: radar detector

ive been wondering the same thing for a while man.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:34 PM

ive never met anyone with a supersport/superbike with a radar detector but it would be great to have one lol

Old 06-22-2007, 12:19 AM

Imounted one on my windscreen yesturday.I mounted a 12 volt outlet under the seat with a fuse in line.then ran the wire up the frame. The detector has a quick disconect thats mounted on the wind screen. the detectors loud enough to be heard at 60mph I havent seen a cop going any faster than that so far.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:01 AM

can you post any pics?

Old 06-22-2007, 02:21 AM

Being able to hear the detector go off is usually the problem with them. There are some companies that make Heads Up Displays so you see a visible alert in your helmet which seems cool tho I've never tried one.

I'm curious... has anybody tried one of the scramblers that keeps you from being detected by radar/laser at all? if so... same question: how do they hook up, do they have to be hard-wired? do they have to be mounted up high or somewhere they can get full view of the road ahead/around you?

Old 06-22-2007, 04:31 AM

I had a detector/scrambler that I had for my WRX. it didn't seem to work very well so I sent it back. I was going to hard wire it to my bike but the scrambler part is also illegal in my state so I was kinda scared to use it a lot.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:19 AM

There are detectors that come with a headphone jack as well,
but you always have to either put a 12 volt outlet on the bike, hardwire a connector, or get a battery powered detector.

the scramblers (radar jammers) are illegal in all 50 states because they are radio frequency (RF) transmitters, that don't conform to the FCC (Federal Communications Commision) rules, that makes it a federal offense to own/operate one. not worth the risk IMO,

laser jammers, on the other hand, are perfectly legal, because they are just infra-red LEDs blinking at a certain frequency...

Old 06-23-2007, 01:25 AM

I know that you can get high end radar detectors for cars that mount in the front and rear of the vehicle and then in the car you get LEDs mounted and audio. I guess you could have custom LEDs mounted on the bike, but I know I sure as hell would not want to be watching those in place of the road ahead of me.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:57 AM

ORIGINAL: itms1022

I know that you can get high end radar detectors for cars that mount in the front and rear of the vehicle and then in the car you get LEDs mounted and audio.
+1, saw em on a website a while back on Ferraris and stuff. You could mount the bars behind the headlights or below them or something and put the back on in the seat or something. A few LEDs wouldn't be that big of a distraction. If you're going fast enough to the point where you can't take a split second to look down at your instruments, then you should just slow the hell down. But going 80 mph on the highway is not too fast to look down and see some leds blinking, but it is fast enough to get a ticket unfortunately.

Quick Reply: radar detector