R.I.P ("How about that for a bad day!" contest)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R.I.P ("How about that for a bad day!" contest)

So I was riding this weekend and decided to pull into a gas station. I opted not to fill up there but to grab a bite to eat instead so I looped around and pulled up behind a truck to walk the bike backwards into the parking spot because it faces downhill and would be easier to back in then pull out later. So I shut the bike off as I coast behind the truck and start walking it back only to hear the truck start. I figure they had to of seen me and who backs up without looking, I'd be moved in seconds anyways. Wrong, I hear the truck idle up and out of the corner of my eye I see reverse lights and the truck is close enough to reach out and hit so I smacked the tailgate yelling to stop (key is off so horn was out of the question due to lack of time to turn the key on and start wrappin on the horn). Needless to say, I made it off the bike with a few inches to spare only to see the quad-cab silverado back right into and ontop of my bike. Then to add insult to injury, as the truck goes to move off my bike, it drags it another foot on the ground. I was getting ready to throw pics up on here to make an attempt to get it nominated for ride of the month after custom painting it with my father and all sorts of polishing and powdercoating. Now it looks as though the insurance company is going to total it. How about that for a bad day. R.I.P.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Default RE: R.I.P ("How about that for a bad day!" contest)

That really sucks to hear bro. It really bothers me that folks dont look in their cars, especially for bikes.

Every close call I have ever had has been due to the car driver not paying attention.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:35 AM

Similar situation happened to me last summer. Down at the Jersey Shore I was parked in front of a deli behind an SUV. I was only going to be a minute. I was inside waiting for sandwiches. As they finished up I kept looking outside (Just cleaned her and was still just keeping an eye out, bad feeling I had). I looked away for 30 seconds while I paid and just that quick the person who owned the SUV backed right into it. I didn't know it cause it never fell over. The owner was nice enough to come find me right away. I had a cracked front cowl, a crack head light casing, the bracket that holds all that was bent and another inside plastic piece was broke. He asked me what I thought it would cost to fix. I told him a few hundred at least. So he gave me cash on the spot. And we called it a day. I got lucky in that case.

Sorry to thread jack. It does suck that people are in too much of a hurry to be cautious of everything around them. That's why accidents happen. Good thing you weren't injured in the process.
Sorry to hear that happened. Good luck with getting things settled.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:09 AM

Sad news indeed damn cagers just plowing over whatever they want. Glad you made it out okay but sorry about the lady.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 AM

R.I.P. 4real! its a tragedy indeed, but ur life is more important! So glad u md it out ok man...u can always get materialistic items back!

next time tho...beat the persons ***! its wat ii prolly wud have done, after the shock set in...

Old 05-13-2008, 11:37 AM

Ouch sorry. I assume the other person's insurance is going to pay?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:35 AM

Got ahold of her insurance yesterday and got the ball rolling on everything. From a rough estimate my brother and I did, it'll be close to 3500 in parts. What percentage of book value will cause this to be totalled?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:34 AM

AHHH man!! that sucks!

Please tell me insurance is claiming him at fault?

Old 05-15-2008, 06:23 AM

The police report had her at fault so all should be well. I am just hoping to have some kind of thing figured out and a pair of wheels for Americade up in Lake George thisJune. Nothing like being the one to get a whole ton of friends lined up for a bike weekend and then being the one to have a totalled bike and not be able to go. Bummed out BIGTIME, all that custom work and time put in goes down the tube.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

sucks to hear about a custom going down but thats the price we pay when we put that much money into our bikes ;( get another one and make that chick pay for it.

you might be able if you have the reciptes for your work to get her to pay extra for it since it was within a year of the accident.

Quick Reply: R.I.P ("How about that for a bad day!" contest)