questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions

So, im finally making the jump from a 08 yamaha vstar custom cruiser to a sports bike!!

I have decided on getting a used sportsbike for around 5k but am still unsure if a 600RR will be good for a guy that is 5'11 @ 230 pounds. Will i be expecting high RPMS on the bike?

Another thing im worried about is, with the seats on a 04-07 CBR 600RR can i expect to have 2 difference sitting postures? For example do i need to have my belly pressed up against the gas tank or can i also when going below 50MPH AKA going into low speed zone cities that i can actually ride it with a cruiser posture?

Old 07-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never owned a 600 but I do have a 1000rr, so I can tell you a little about the riding posture. We're the same height, although I weigh a bit less. You do not have to lay down on the tank to ride and the closer you sit to the tank the more upright you'll be. Also less strain on your arms and wrists. Sit on one in the showroom and you'll see.

As for the high rpm it's a 6-speed, so it depends on if you're riding around in 3rd gear or 6th on your engine speed. I try to not make too much noise in town and I keep it around 3-4k rpm. You can also go with aftermarket sprockets if you want to gear it up or down from stock.

I'm curious why you're thinking about a 600 and not a 1000. I don't know how long you've been riding but obviously it isn't your first bike. You can find a used 1000 in good condition for 5-7k dollars. To me the fun factor would be a little higher and it's only as dangerous as what you allow your right wrist to do.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:57 PM

Jeff: you are abosolutely right this is definitely not my first bike ... ive been riding my cruiser for 2 yrs now and i love it and now that i got the cruiser and the speed in control i want to move up to a sportsbike ... the reason i just chose a 600 and not a 1000 is because im coming from a 649cc bike and thought that lower cc would be better. But i am actively scouring craiglists for either a 600 or a 1000 which one i can get a better deal on, so that is definitely up in the air. Also i have been thinking since i like to take trips of 90 miles or more the 1000cc would be a better choice to make longer trips and what not. The RPM i was just wondering cause on my cruiser because im guessing my weight, even though i have no RPM guage, i can tell run a bit high so i was wondering the same thing about the 600RR but if they dont run higher then hell im not to worried then.

But i definitely didn't know the 1000RR or 600RR had 6 gears!

Any other advice when i start to go check out bikes? Besides making sure the chain is tight enough but also not to tight. Anything i should be listening for?

Old 07-25-2010, 09:44 AM

These sportbikes are high reving machines I have a 09 600rr that has taken trips to the Rev limiter and back a thousand times I've heard the 1000rr is a bit more comfortable and as for long trips I like to throw my left arm on the tank and lay on it or sit up against the tank and left hand on left knee takes a lot of weight off wrist

As for going to check the bikes out looking will be the biggest part like rashed fairings aftermarket fairing might be trying to cover up a crash. Fork seals if the forks are extra squishy could mean lots of wheelies. Ask about maintenance records how often was oil and filter changed what all has been done to bike any major or minor repairs. Good luck with your purchase and hope all goes well for ya

Old 07-25-2010, 03:51 PM

If your seating position puts any strain on wrists and arms, you're not sitting correctly. Hold yourself up with your abs, arms should be relaxed. Don't hold yourself up by the arms, that tends to bow the back also, making your back, arms, and wrists hurt. You'll never geta cruiser posture, clip-ons too narrow and distance from seat/rearset configuration.

I ride back and forth between the 600RR and the 954RR. The 954RR is more comfortable (I also have a Sargent seat) for longer rides, so the 1000RR would probably be a bit more comfortable also. I rode a 1000 to LA from Dallas in two-days and was fine when I got there.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:54 PM

thank you so much guys for the help! now i can't wait to get my bike WOOHOO!

Old 07-27-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by randyjoy
If your seating position puts any strain on wrists and arms, you're not sitting correctly. Hold yourself up with your abs, arms should be relaxed. Don't hold yourself up by the arms, that tends to bow the back also, making your back, arms, and wrists hurt. You'll never geta cruiser posture, clip-ons too narrow and distance from seat/rearset configuration.

I ride back and forth between the 600RR and the 954RR. The 954RR is more comfortable (I also have a Sargent seat) for longer rides, so the 1000RR would probably be a bit more comfortable also. I rode a 1000 to LA from Dallas in two-days and was fine when I got there.
+1

Old 07-28-2010, 05:36 PM

OK, I have a 600RR, a 1000RR and a BMW 1200GS and here's my take...

The 600 is going to be a lot buzzier (higher RPM's) than a 1000. Riding the 1000 at 3500 rpms around city streets is no big deal but the 600 wants a good 1k more rev's as a minimum starting point. So yes, the 600 will probably seem like it's really winding up compared to what you are used to but these things can do 10k rpm's all day. I notice I do a lot more shifting on the 600. The 1000 can pretty much pull me around all day in 1st or 2nd gear and not even break a sweat but the 600 would be screaming if I don't upshift a bit more.

You aren't going to be able to ride in a "cruiser position" on either bike. These are RR's and they are designed for heads down road racing. Scooting up against the tank will let you get much "more" upright but it's still not like sitting in a chair. My BMW has a perfectly neutral seating position but after riding the RR's it feels like I'm in an easy chair with my feet almost out in front of me. I'm sure your could make some adjustments with bar risers and whatnot but you're compromising the racing nature of the bike in that case and would be better off going for something less agressive.

I won't recommend a liter bike because I don't know anything about your riding but if you're capable of handling the power it will be a better ride for longer distance and less work in the city.