question about major engine problem

Old 11-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about major engine problem

just had the plug somehow come out of my oil pan last week going pretty fast down the interstate here in charlotte. the guys who changed the oil last were not a honda dealer and have said they will not cover any damages. i managed to keep the bike up going about 90 in spite of a gallon of oil on the back tire. could not see the oil on the rear tire just knew i had something pretty serious happening. the engine didn't make any abnormal sounds or react differently until all the oil was pretty much out of it. as soon the engine didn't sound right i turned it off and coasted into a rest stop. would have turned it off sooner but had a big rig riding up my #ss. only rode about 1/4 mile. have not refilled engine with oil or done anything with it. just got new plug today. was wondering what is likely wrong with it and the best way to fix it and anything good to do with it while i've got it taken apart. thanks.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Default RE: question about major engine problem

forgot to mention: bike is an '05 600 rr with about 12,400 miles on it. i ride it every chance i get.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:38 PM

When did you have the service at this place?

Old 11-07-2007, 05:49 PM

a week before it happened.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Time to make a few calls to the BBB and get the ball rolling. They are liable for the motor damage and would have also been liable had you wrecked due to the oil on the tires. Get serious with them. It makes no difference if they are a Honda place or not.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:56 PM

I'm not a "sue-happy" kind of a guy, but GO TALK TO A LAWYER, It'll cost you $30 - $50 buck to start off, but you'll know exactly what action you can or can't take. I'm sugessting this becuase first and formost that was an extremely dangerous situation, heck - I'd go as far saying life threating!

Now on to your bike, don't even try starting it, most likely you've at a minium scored the main and rod bearings. It may run, but it'll never run right agian.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:02 AM

yet another reason why people should do their own maintenance. i know for a fact that i torque the oil pan to spec every time and I even go so far as to safety wire it in to make sure a miracle doesnt happen and it still back out.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:15 AM

If you have a receipt for the work, you need to start making calls to the supervisor/owner/regional director of whatever company you had this done at. Let them know you are serious about having the bike fixed at a dealer and if they give you any sort of trouble, consult a lawyer and the BBB. Also, bringing your situation to the attention of local news media is a good way to get the ball rolling, too. I know around here we have a 'consumer investigation' thing that reporters do and it will put the shop's name all over the TV so everyone knows. BTW, do not touch your bike beyond having a dealer do an estimate.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:30 AM

Tell me you were running a full synthetic oil please!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:12 AM

I say sue da hell outta them!!!!!!!! That's some bullshat right there.[:@]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: question about major engine problem