public curve speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: public curve speed

I wouldn't even trust road signs on roads I do not know. On more than one occasion I have seen them were they are very misleading. Before I started doing this, I followed some of the recommended speeds, and they were off. One had a 35mph sign and it should have been like 15 as it was a decreasing radius double apex. Not to mention unless you late apex turns to see through the turn before you lean, then you have no idea what potential obstructions could be in the road.

Not being hypocritical of riding like that, I do that. I'm fortunate to have 3-6 spots where it can be done because of no driveways, low traffic, and good line of sight. This doesn't mean I'm doing high speed sweepers either, just riding spirited. Other than that, have fun.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:25 AM

it's no BS...there are riders that doubles the speed limits onthe turns...they've also takin' those turns thousands times...

Old 07-06-2007, 12:52 AM

ORIGINAL: cksean

it's no BS...there are riders that doubles the speed limits onthe turns...they've also takin' those turns thousands times...
yah i agree in a way like in another thread i made, i know a turn posted 25 that i can easily do 50 around and when im on my game around 65 ....but i do agree a lot of people talk **** but its the net that **** happens. If im comforatble with a nice curve i can rail it but if i dont know i reserve myself.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:36 AM

i do the same if its a turn i know i usually take it double if not i approach with caution, safe rideing

Old 07-06-2007, 05:03 AM

This is just me I go through the turn for first time at speed limit sometimes slower. After that I normaly go up abou 10 miles an hr faster through it each time until I find that I'm getting just a little uncomfortable and then I don't go any faster than that through that turn assuming its bright rainless and my tires are hot. I can't believe your asking this question trying to validate yourself I think something bigger is going on than do I look cool? Doing 70 on a 35mph rated curve is not hard. 35 nomaly mean tractor trailers suvs trucks minivans its saposed to be a safe limit for any type of whatever driving on it. Heck Ive done 70 on a 35 in civics its not hard. I would like to point one critical thing out though. No matter what the limit is if your going into any turn where you can't see the exit of the apex are you realy going to trust your life and bike to a government employ who dosnt realy give a rats *** if the sighn is right or even in the right spot? Go at a SAFE lets say that again go at a SUPER SAFE speed when going into any new turn when you can't see the exit of the apex. After that it's up to you well realy its allways up to you its your life and bike. Having said that playing it super safe the first time has saved my *** and my bike from hitting a cliff wall and several ditches because of large unseen dips in turns oil slicks paint gravel pot holes and water run off just to name a few.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:51 AM

if its a new curve then i slow,
if its a curve i have taken a lot and i am just out for a ride
i just maintain speed
of course if i am leathered up and looking to burn some sidewall
i try to take it a little faster than i did last time

Old 07-06-2007, 08:32 AM

jchavers: believe it, i am asking this question. im not asking to be a smart*** or naive. i myself do not think it's cool. i think the posted signs are there for a reason and don't need 'validation' for that. i just wanted to learn if i am missing something in SKILL if i don't increase the posted speed on the signs. thanks again for all the responses.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:35 AM

including thanking jchavers for the informative response too.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think 2x the posted recommended curve speeds is a fun pace...more than that then it's more of a brisk pace...
correct, 70 in a 35 isn't that hard...usually a nice sweeper...but 30 in a 15 is a bit trickier.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:41 AM

In most areas of the US, those yellow diamond signs are designed for vehicles traveling on that portion of the road with the minimum legally required vehicle design specifications traveling 15-45 minutes after initial rainfall. Basically, grandma's 1970's Caprice Classic with the min. legal tire tread depth can hold the road in that corner, at that specified speed, in the rain.

It is not uncommon for a newer vehicle with new tires to be able to exceed those limits, especially on dry pavement.

Know your limits!

Quick Reply: public curve speed