PRO'S - CONS of chrome wheels??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRO'S - CONS of chrome wheels??

Was thinking of putting some chrome wheels on my bike. I have a silver 06 cbr and i think they would look good. was just wondering if there was any loss of performance via more weight or what.. and generally just everyone's thoughts.
This is my first post on this awsome forum.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PRO'S - CONS of chrome wheels??

it'll be considerably heavier so turning will be worse.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:28 PM

save some money and go with the polished rims. its very easy to do.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:30 PM

Ive been wanting to do the same to my 06 orange cbr rr. It would look great. The performace as in horsepower will stay the same , but iof your talkin performance of the rim itll hold up. mY buddy has them on his 954rr and the stunts he pulls. Ive found one place that u send ur rims in and get chrome back but im a little sketchy bout sending my rims in and havin no guaruntee i get them back. Then there is always dipping your own rims. Gettin then anodized in nickel then chrome plated.. Just check around is what im doin but if you find somethin good let me know..lata

Old 03-07-2006, 11:36 PM

bikermike- If you live around the savannah, ga or myrtle beach, sc area there are places where you can go and they exchange your rims then and there. i am still a little worried about the wheels being heavy and losing some speed and or turning ability.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:45 PM

They will be expensive. Not to mention they are hard to keep clean. when you lube your chain and you should at least once a year, you will have spatters of oil or grease all over your rear rim. What a pain in the A$$ to clean on a regular basis. And yes chrome is a heavier material so you will have to get used to differences in the way your bike will preform after you adding rims like that.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:14 AM

Chrome is very hard to keep clean. You must clean and polish them all the time. If you live in a colder area where they may put chemicals down in the winter and you ride your bike it will ruin the wheels. For the cost and the added wieght I just don't see the advantage. With the brake/rotor setup on most bikes it will be hard to polish certian parts of the wheels and overtime they won't look as good.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:20 AM

I've thought of doing the same with my '06 Black 600rr..problem is i'm a little leary about the exchange program that most places have. I know I don't wanna take my brand new rims off, take 'em in...and have them give me back some chrome plated rims that are who knows how old and what they've been through. If there's a place that will chrome YOUR rims and you know that you're getting YOUR own back, I would definitely consider it. This is a costly investment...but they look sooo bada$$ once they're chromed. Let us know if you find anything or what you do..i'd like to see some pics and hear what you think about handling if you do it!!

Old 03-08-2006, 02:10 AM

Look at it this way as well...
its going to either be an investment in the cost of making the switch and
its going to be an investment in the time it takes to clean them, pay for the chemicals to clean with ,the rags, the stains on your new pants, your Wife(girlfriend, mother, YOU GET THE IDEA) screaming at you to do the dishes, your buddies time standing there next to you watching you scrub your *** off while never asking to lend you a hand. Damn nice friends by the way. I'll bet thats the last time you bum'em a smoke! Then least they could do is hold the hose for ya. Hell even if he is nice enough to hold the hose he will probably charge you $5 bucks for putting forth the effort.

Either way its gonna cost you CHA_CHING$$$$$

Hope this randt was humorus (it was intended to be)!

Seriously though, I myself would rather put that kind of cash into my gas tank so I could put on some miles.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:36 AM

take a look I love em!

[IMG]local://upfiles/4991/D02F7F1B3516455F95163FF51924625F.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: PRO'S - CONS of chrome wheels??