Problem fitting hyper pro steering damper

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem fitting hyper pro steering damper

hi folks ! some info on my bike and problem , i have a 03 rr and recently bought a hyperpro rsc damper and fitting kit off an 05 bike , i was told it would probley fit my bike but its not fitting ! the tank bracket seems ok but the bracket that mounts to the top yolk doesnt fit down flush because of some extra material on the bracket , i could file off the extra alloy but because of a recess in the top yoke for the nut i dont think there is enough threads left to hold everything safely. , so what are my options ? if i have to buy a new fitting kit i might as well sell this whole kit on as i will be out far to much money (unless somebody has a link to a cheap fitting kit) can this bracket be modded and how ? or what about , is it possible to change my top yoke to a 05 one ? thanks

Old 12-29-2013, 12:03 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The top trees between the years are very different because Honda went from conventional forks to USD forks. I would see if you could buy the triple mounting plate for the 03/04 from Hyperpro or a distributor. The actual unit is pretty standard I would think, and there must be extra parts floating around. Talk to an ebay vendor, even... I'm sure there's a way to make it work. Maybe even a local machinist could make one for you out of some aluminum.

Take some pictures of it. It'd help to see if it could be modified safely or not.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
The top trees between the years are very different because Honda went from conventional forks to USD forks. I would see if you could buy the triple mounting plate for the 03/04 from Hyperpro or a distributor. The actual unit is pretty standard I would think, and there must be extra parts floating around. Talk to an ebay vendor, even... I'm sure there's a way to make it work. Maybe even a local machinist could make one for you out of some aluminum.

Take some pictures of it. It'd help to see if it could be modified safely or not.
Thanks for the reply !! i have emailed as many sellers on ebay inc usa and germany sites asking for the kit or even if i spotted a seller of similar kit but all replys are drawing a blank , as far as moding the bracket that was my first idea but the more i think about it im not so sure ,,,,,,, theres 2 problems with it well 3 infact ,,,, the bottom of the bracket has 2 wings pointing down the way and there purpose is to keep the bracket from turning (bracket ment to follow the top yoke) well they are to big so would need to be trimed (thats possible no problem) 2nd problem is there use will be not so good at keeping the bracket sold to the yoke if they are trimed !!!!! 3rd problem is the top yoke on the 03/04 bike has a recess for the nut (05 seemes to be flat from photos i can find) well this means that when the wings are trimmed the bracket is still about 5mm from where the nut shoud rest , this means the main nut wont get full of the nut of threads (this problem i cant overcome unless i take a grinder to the yoke :-) i'm going to contack a couple of retailers to see if its possible to buy the main clamp on its own first , thanks again . ill update as i get on with it

Old 12-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well... it looks like you'll just have to put an 05/06 front end on it! jk (although it would be a nice excuse to get the USD forks and radial brakes!)

I would pull off your top tree, take it to a machinist with the part that you received with the kit and ask them to make it fit. Most of those machinist guys have a lot of experience with automotive and motorcycle parts. They could either modify it or make you a new one.

I can't believe HyperPro won't help you out with some hardware though.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:59 PM

the uk dealer has got back to me and the price for the bracket is £80 delivered , it will take a couple of weeks for delivery as they have to wait for a few items to be ordered at the same time to keep costs down . its more than i want to pay but its ok i supose ! i've ordered it anyway so i'll post back with pics when it arrives . thanks again