pick ur brain

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pick ur brain

hi all----first bike,and don`t know $h!t about taking care of it! Now I have the matinace package
but wondering if there is anything that i should also do cause i`m thinking ther just going to do basic stuff to it. the only thing that i`ve done is 600mi. service, lubed chain,(ride the $h!t out of it and thats it. (had since april and got 3`500 on it) also read in a diffrent post about heat gun to take off decals ,but wondering if anybody has done this are something sim. and reused the decal or do i have to get new ones---basicaliy would like 2 take the 600 RR decal and chop a 0 and move the 6 to read 06 RR ! anyways any help would be awsome

Old 09-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Default RE: pick ur brain

well, to each they're own ideas, but i wouldn't touch the decals personally. i think they look fine.

As far as maintenance goes, it's all in your owners manuel, and it can (mostly) be done by yourself. bad choice for a first motorcycle when it comes to maintenance (amongst other things, but i wont jump into that). Oil changes can be done on your own time and are super simple to do. follow the instructions on http://ww.600rr.us and instead of buying the perfectly fine but terribly expensive Honda filters, use the Puroloar PureOne PL14612 filter which offers superior filtration protection and cost less. you can find them at nearly any auto parts store. When it comes to oil, there is NO question synthetics are superior. Here is a link talking about motorcycle safe oils. Hell, that whole WEBSITE (http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/) is an endless supply of information about motorcycles in general. i suggest that you read it over well, it may save you some serious bucks in the future, and it's damn educational to boot.

The other piece of maintenance that is somewhat over looked quite often is chain maintenance. Here's a great article in SportRider all about it. The ONLY problem i have with it that is does NOT tell you about the dangers of using WD40 on o-ring chains as a long term cleaner and protectorate. When you clean your chain, the best thing to use is Honda Brake and Contact Cleaner (found at the Honda Dealership i'd hope) or another rubber safe brake cleaner. One thing to remember about Brake cleaner is that is dissolves black top and leaves very unpleasant steins where it dries. if you wish to avaid that, use a 3rd party chain cleaner or kerosene. DO NOT USE GASOLINE OR ANY HIGH FLASH POINT SOLVENT!!!. Be sure when you are done cleaning it that you use a Chain Protectorate such as Honda Pro Chain Lube with White Graphite, Maxima Chain Wax, or another anti-sling o-ring chain lubricant. Some have stated that they use 80W gear oil. I believe this is quite messy and fligs EVERYWHERE when you get up to speed. With a Chain "Wax" you don't have that problem nearly as much. I use the Honda Lube and i'm quite happy. Remember that when you're applying the lube that you are not lubing the space between the rollers and sprocket. what you are actually doing is sealing and protecting the side plates and o-rings so they do not corrode or attract and trap dirt. a thin drying coat is all you need. one can of lube should last you a very long time. I clean and lube my chain every 500 miles or 2 months, whichever is longer. i can rack up 500 miles pretty quick on my bike so that's my reasoning behind that. also, be sure to check the chain slack and adjust ONLY as necessary. the rear tire alignment is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT and is a level 1 safety check. if the alignment is off you can high side really easily, so make sure you do it right. look to the websites for guidance, and if you cannot find it, i'm sure someone here or at http://www.600rr.net can help you.

the cheapest parts and accessories will always be available through the website venders. check them out before you go to the dealers. many will do great deals and free shipping!

i hope i've helped.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:21 AM
Default RE: pick ur brain

You can use a hair dryer and Goo Gone to remove your decals, but there's no chance of reusing them after you get them off. They'll most likely stretch/rip/tear as you remove them.