Painting Rims DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Registered Users
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painting Rims DIY

Did any one paint their rims on the bike ,not in a professional shop just as a weekend or winter project ?
if so i would like to find out how would you go about doing so , what brand paint , prep etc.
because I'm bored at home and i just quit smoking so now i need something to do to keep keep me busy after work.

so any comments and suggestions are welcome

Old 01-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Painting Rims DIY

Powder coating is the way to go.. use the$10 a day your saving & buy you a coat gun & build an oven J/K (I need to quit too)

If your going to paint Dupli-color engine enamel works well

degrease well... couple/3 light coats followed by a heavier "wet" coat allow ample drying time before messing with them

ALL the gold on this Katana is dupi-color

Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 PM

Yep.. Do you have a buddy that powder coats? Thats the way to go. Myfriend does all mine and he charges me virtually nothing for it but I have been looking into getting the equipment for myself and it doesnt seem too expensive.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Registered Users

ORIGINAL: cbrsix

Yep.. Do you have a buddy that powder coats? Thats the way to go. Myfriend does all mine and he charges me virtually nothing for it but I have been looking into getting the equipment for myself and it doesnt seem too expensive.
then hook me up with ur buddy where u live ? for a got price i will travel because i was looking in to powder coating but thats like $400 where i live in NJ.
i think im going to look in to it again maybe i will find a good price

Old 01-27-2009, 01:19 AM

$69.99 at www.Harborfreight.com

Old 01-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Onarom
thats all u need ? i guess i gonna have to look up prep and all that
but wait dont i need an oven to bake the paint

Old 01-30-2009, 07:03 PM

Yes, you do need an oven to bake the parts (a small toaster over should work for small parts). You also need an air compressor (to attach to the gun) and, of course, the powder/paint.

I have no idea what the learning curve is like. Now if it is a bigger part, or if you don't have a compressor, time, space, etc. Then you should check out Foxy and his gift shop. He has had some great reviews.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:17 PM

I would check around for an automotive body shop or something... I just got mine done in Indiana at a Powder Coating Body shop and they were $38 a wheel (for a custom ordered color). If you take the bearings/seals out yourself and clean them first, it will save you some $$$.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Retired Moderator

Powder coating is fairly easy......but it does take some know how. You have to prep the metal on the parts (and know which metals take well to the powder and which ones don't)

You have to have an oven that can go up to 450-degrees and maintain a constant, even temperature........as well as mask off specific areas you don't want the powder (threads, gasket areas, etc.)

And it's just not as easy as buying the gun........you need the powders, the prep chemicals & equipment, an oven (toaster oven's work great, but they can only do very small parts (like rearsets, levers, etc.)

I do powder coating on the side, and have done a bit for a few of the members on here. I currently don't have a way of doing wheels (yet), but I should be able to soon (have a commercial oven on order).

Old 02-08-2009, 07:19 PM

i painted mine myself, they came out pretty good for a 10 dollar rattle can job. no one can tell they arent done by a pro. of course i know where to look and can see a hundred screw ups but only if im about an inch from the wheel. take your time taping and make sure you sand enough.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa101/DFour/008.jpg

Quick Reply: Painting Rims DIY