Opinions on Salvage bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Opinions on Salvage bikes?

its going to be a bit of a pain registering it as well. registering something with a salvage title has to be inspected even more so and i believe there is another administrative (aka: BS) fee along with that.

i wouldnt do it, but thats just me. you can find plenty of good deals out there with CLEAR titles.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:58 AM

I would recommend not buying a salvaged vehicle. Two years ago, I bought a salvaged WRX for a good price. We took it to a mechanic (who was either incompetent or being paid off) and it ended up costing me another $500 to get a new subframe and control arm. Even though it ended up being cheaper and running like new, I always felt like my car had been molested and I repeatedly found evidence of poor repair quality (bolts missing in dash, poor welds here and there). Also, licensing is a pain and resale value is a gamble.

The reason most shops repair a salvaged vehicle is that they can make a profit by cutting corners. This is not something you want in a high performance bike that cannot fall apart at high speed.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:00 PM

Some of these posts show a few very good points. I am part owner of a small body shop and we buy wrecked/salvaged cars and bikes all the time. My suggestion would be if it doesn't have frame sliders stay away. As for the reasoning for salvaging many bikes: It is not necessarily because the repairs cost more than the bike is worth. Bikes hold their value pretty well even when they are wrecked. the insurance company takes into consideration the money they will make back by selling the bike at auction above most other things. If they total a bike worth 6 grand and sell it at auction, it's better then repairing that same bike with $2100 damage. am i making sense here? Also most insurance companies only consider buying new parts, which if you haven't checked recently, a new upper fairing from a dealer goes for almost $750 primed. That doesn't include paint and installation. I think the high cost of plastics has a lot to do with it. If you can do the work yourself i would say go for it. I just bought my 03 600 rr and did the work myself, custom paint, ect (pics to come) and found a fairing on ebay for $150. So in all honesty many bikes are totaled just for plastic damage, but like i said, i'd be wary of anything without frame sliders, good luck to you.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:45 PM

ok, i decided 100% NOT to get a salvage title! i'll just wait til i have the money and a deal comes around. Thanks a lot guys

Old 04-09-2007, 11:43 AM

thats probably a good idea because it can be a real big risk buying a salvaged anything....go the dealer and get a nice leftover like im doing in a few weeks.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:58 AM

$4500 is def too steep for a salvage bike. when you're checking a salvage bike look to see if the tab stops(on the frame) where the lower triple tree touches are dented in, if so, the forks are most likely bent.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:17 AM

i bought mine from the auction for 3200 salvage with 8100 miles an 04 cbr 600rr. all i did was repaint the whole bike black. everthing works fine on it these days insurance companys will total your bike if you drop it in your garage

Old 04-14-2007, 06:44 AM

+1 that is so true

here bikes are marked repairable write off or parts only

Old 04-15-2007, 02:10 AM

i would only buy a salvage bike for a stunt bike or basicly something to trash. To me i don't want to trust my life to a salvage( You don't know where it's been) bike. Lets face it if your going to hit hight speeds you want to know the bike isn't going to come apart below you

Old 04-15-2007, 03:38 AM

OK. I bought a 2006 600 rr salvage for 2600 with 1800 miles on it you can see this in my thread progress. I have put 2300 in it and need about 300 more to finish it.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Salvage bikes?