Opinions on Salvage bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Salvage bikes?

Some guy in my town is selling a 2005 tribal cbr600rr with 1k miles on it, is very nice with some small problems like broke turn signals, scratched plastic, etc. all little stuff. Anyways whats your opinions on purchasing a salvage title bike? i can get this one for $4500. Is it worth it? Or should i just stay away from salvage bikes b/c you never know what could be wrong with them and so many things could be hid? He's says everything is prefect except for the small features.

Also i was just wondering, how do these guys purchase salvage bikes from insurance companies? Are there insurance auctions and how would i be able to find out about them? thanks

Old 04-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Default RE: Opinions on Salvage bikes?

well I thought the whole point of a salvage title was that at one time they deemed it totaled because the damage done would cost more to repair than the value of the bike..... I would see if you could dig into it's history a bit and see what and when.4500is what I payed for my bike with 6000 miles from a dealer

Old 04-02-2007, 11:29 PM

www.carfax.com as far as I know they do motorcycles too. If anything involving any paper work even miles on it at every emishions test will be on the carfax report. They are like the freakingFBI for titles no joke its lik 20 bucks for a months worth of unlimited title searches.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:32 PM

Ps yes there are auctions. If you are a dealer you have access to bid if your not a dealer meaning you own a dealership or buy for a dealship then your out of luck. If you can make friends with someone who has access to the auctions then they can bid for you but keep in mind the people whoo can buy there are a select few individuals they like to keep it that way too

Old 04-02-2007, 11:34 PM

Sorry bout the last post my mouse clicked somewhere in the text. Basicly if your not a dealer or buy for a dealership then your out of luck sorry

Old 04-02-2007, 11:44 PM

The bike must have been stolen at one point or something. Because for a few minor cosmetic blemishes, it wouldnt have a salvaged title. Checkout the numbers on the frame and everything too to see if the match the paperwork

Old 04-02-2007, 11:48 PM

ZJ:
If it has a salvage title and the owner is claiming only minor cosmetic damage he is lying to your face.
It could have been repaired properly, but you need to be VERY cautious of what you're getting. My reccomendation would be to take it to a licensed mechanic/shop to have them take a very through look at it (be especially mindfull of the frame, and the forks)
And also check the VIN (you could be getting a salvaged frame with "hot" parts on it.
$4500 would be fair, only if the guy agrees to take the bike for a checkup to YOUR mechanic on HIS penny.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:18 AM

ok thanks guys, im a little worried about buying a salvage though. i'll have to do that carfax tthing. Where can i get a motorcycle mechanic to look at it? lol

Whitedealershiprice: sorry about the earlier posts, i was being a complete idiot and was letting my anger and stress get to me. i truly apologize

Old 04-03-2007, 01:03 AM

ZJ, no prob, I very rarely take things personnaly. And don't think I've ever held a grudge.

As for the Mechanic... Most dealerships will do it, but their fees are a bit hefty for it, plus they'll try to steer you towards buying from them instead of a third party. If you have a local tuning shop (sells/installs parts, even if it is part of a dealership) they are usually more willing to work with you. If you have a local "mom and pop shop" (private mechanic, check your local yellow pages) then you've got it made. They will probably give you the most honest assesment. ask arround on your local area. even though a lot of people like to work on their own bikes, motorcycle mechanics aren't really that hard to find.

Just remember.. If the forks are damaged, they can be replaced... But its MAJOR MONEY... If the frame is bent....RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN
Hopefully she was salvaged at one time, but was propperly repaired... and you get it for a steal.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:48 PM

So is there any way you can tell a frame or forks are bent just by making simple measurements or anything? i honestly think it would be very hard to tell. i think i might just pass on the salvage bike and get a clean titled one, if i can find one for a reasonable price. Im trying to get an 05-06 for 5-6K if possible, i know some1 on here got an 06 for $4500 which is a heck of a steal. But im in college at OSU, damn gators, so i don't have as much money as i'd like. Is there any other places i can look for bikes besides ebay, cycletrader, craigslist, on here and other bikes sites, and on local classifieds? thanks

Quick Reply: Opinions on Salvage bikes?