oil change

Old 10-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil change

I am changing my oil very soon and looking for a quick answer. I no this is an opinion and there are allot of threads on this but what would you rate your top 5 oil. my problem is I have a 600rr and the clutch is very loud. I am using synthetic amzoil and want to switch to something better for my clutch hoping it will quiet down a tad. What are your suggestions on best oil hoping to stick with synthetic. Price does not matter.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:46 PM
October 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amsoil is the best of the best. A lot of people like Rotella-T but I don't believe it is better than Amsoil.

BTW what year bike do you have? My 07 clutch is very quite.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:47 PM

its a 2006 cbr 600. very clean and well maintained. only 3500 miles on it. Everyone i talked to said hondas are known for the loud clutch noises and stuff but man from a start going into 1 is pretty loud. Caclunk are the noises i meen it almost sounds like i am not using the clutch lol. Idk but i herd amzoil is awsome as well but maby something else will help idk. Gear 2 is kinda loud as well. I dont ride that hard but i no how to shift so i no its not me. I have rode my buddies 06 and man thing shifts alot smoother then mine. Any suggestions or types of oil reccomended or anything i can do to help this. Is there thicker oil or thinner oil that will help. Who knows?

Old 10-19-2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by danl23880
its a 2006 cbr 600. very clean and well maintained. only 3500 miles on it. Everyone i talked to said hondas are known for the loud clutch noises and stuff but man from a start going into 1 is pretty loud. Caclunk are the noises i meen it almost sounds like i am not using the clutch lol. Idk but i herd amzoil is awsome as well but maby something else will help idk. Gear 2 is kinda loud as well. I dont ride that hard but i no how to shift so i no its not me. I have rode my buddies 06 and man thing shifts alot smoother then mine. Any suggestions or types of oil reccomended or anything i can do to help this. Is there thicker oil or thinner oil that will help. Who knows?
The shift out of neutral to first gear in ANY bike goes kaclunk! Without getting into the details It is by design of the components! 1 to 2 is also a bit loud and a longer throw as your going through neutral to get there..the higher up you go the softer the gears should sound...Also, the colder the bike and oil the louder the shift....Honda gearboxes by design are clunky and loud...my 01 F4i is LOUD esp when cold...after full warm up it does quiet down a bit...I have just gotten use to it and have accepted the fact that these gearboxes are just loud...Early model F4i's (01-03) are the loudest...not a flaw nor are the mechanical components not working effectively, its merely just the design..

Amsoil is track proven....Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 is also a winner

Change the oil on time and forget and try to ignore the kaclunkly clunk clunk!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:50 AM
October 2011 ROTM

From what I gather it is not your clutch that is loud but rather your gearbox and then noober would be correct. If you think the RR has a loud and clunky gearbox you should ride my F4i lol. I don't believe that any oil is going to change that. You should stick with the recommended oil because unlike a car where you have seperate oil for the engine, trans and rear end the oil in the bike runs everything. So if you run a thicker oil to smooth out your shifting you might damage your engine or clutch. Without riding your bike I can't tell you for sure if everything is okay or not but from the info you gave I think you have nothing to worry about. Just keep up on the oil changes and you should be good.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the help guys. It deff sounds better after warms and higher gears are smooth and quiet. Thanks for all the help though. I am going to try a new oil other then amzoil just to try some other brands. Thanks

Old 10-19-2010, 06:54 PM

Honda GN4 10-40. I've ried a few synthetics and haven't been impressed at all by them. I stick with the conventional and change every 3000-4000 miles.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 PM

how is the regular gn4 compared to the synthetic gn4

Old 10-22-2010, 07:39 PM

All in all i am looking for an oil that will shift oh so smooth. Oil is oil but i am sure some make for some smoother shifting. Anyone have a good oil they use. Amsoil is great oil but aint doing it for the shifting. I herd repsol oil was good. What are your experiences?

Old 10-22-2010, 08:05 PM

Rotella T-6!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil change