Octane discreptancy, a must read.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Octane discreptancy, a must read.

Okay so 91 RON is equal to 87 octane, is that what your saying from the photo. I get it now, but that doens't answer everything. Look down to my other post about the power commander.[:@]

Old 10-10-2006, 02:58 PM

So with the power commander I am running borderline lean. I couldn't benefit from a higher octane to prevent a further lean issue from causing a possible knock or ping down the road? I'm getting one direct answer at a time. Its like pulling teeth in here.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:00 PM

all I'm saying is that your original assertion of a discrepancy between the manual and the sticker under the seat is incorrect. Many people see 91 on that sticker and assume super unleaded gasoline and that is not the case. Many just don't understand what RON, PON, and MON really are.

I personally don't give a rat's a$$ what octane you actually put in there. Go ahead and argue with everyone else. It makes for great popcorn material

Old 10-10-2006, 03:05 PM

from the factory you can run 87 octane. i dont know what kind of map you are running with the power commander, ask your tuner what octane they recommend based on the tuning.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:06 PM

I am not arguing with anybody, I've learned a few things in here, good and bad. But if anyone can answer my question, it would be greatly appreciated. Like I mentioned in my last post without sounding like a broken record. Can I benefit from using 91 octane if I am running the power commander and I'm nearing a lean A:F ratio. My tuner thinks so, and its like extra insurance in case pinging or knocking ever were to occur, if say you happen to run extra lean from some sort of riding weather(ie cold front, tornado, hurricane, whatever whatever). As far as this post and eating popcorn, yeah go ahead enjoy. My posts are always famous for stirring up controversy. Look who engineered this post from the beginning. *Digs into popcorn and enjoys the funny combacks**

Old 10-10-2006, 03:11 PM

Slipper wrote "from the factory you can run 87 octane. i dont know what kind of map you are running with the power commander, ask your tuner what octane they recommend based on the tuning."

Now thats the most intelligent response thus far. Yeah my tuner did recommend 91 octane, as my commander is running to optimum performance, he did the custom tune. My A:F ratio runs in a perfect straight line, closer to lean though, for the most power and smoothness. I know the answer to my question, I guess people need to realize in some cases 91 could benefit people especially if they are running on the lean side. I could be wrong though, nobody is stepping up to the plate to answer that quesiton. New slogan "Got *****". Lets here your response.

My bike runs the same whether I put in 87 or 91, but I believe that 91 would be better just in case of the reasons mentioned above. Nobody agrees I guess.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:21 PM

ORIGINAL: HondaCBR600RRhunk

So with the power commander I am running borderline lean.
How do you know your running "borderline lean?" If this is true and the bike is pinging or knocking, go with a higher octane.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:36 PM

I know that I am running borderline lean because when my tuner put it on the dyno, he told me that. The dyno doesn't lie. From low to mid to high range, he can tell you exactly what A:F ratio your running at, in any given rpm range. So naturally when he made a custom tuned map, he wanted to give me the most power and the most smoothest response possible. The A:F ratio is running about 13.1 13.2,(higher end of normal) in medium and high settings. Thats what I'm saying is that any change in weather, mostly a colder air front or anything that would help the bike breathe more air into the system, it could possible bring the A:F ratio to 13.2 or 13.3 for example. Then it would be nice to have the higher 91 octane, just in case, to prevent knocking from happening. My bike has never pinged or knocked from using 87 or 91, and feels great on both. But I'm just saying 91 would help me sleep at night, just in case I was ever to get a leaner condition causing the engine to ping and cause damage. Thats all that I was getting at. As far as the octane discreptancy okay fine there is no discreptancy as first thought. You established that 86 octane is 91 RON, so there. One bird down, two to go.

Another tid bit for you. This is coming from the mouth of a tech at dynojet, the makers of powercommander. If you use a race filter like BMC or a K&N filter(pre-oiled usually), the ones where you have to oil them yourself, look out. Too much oil on those filters can cause the bike to run way to rich than intended. If its oiled a little bit, just right, then the air filter especially the race filters, it should lean out your air fuel ratio a little bit, due to more air coming in to the system. The guy told me that for my bike, the BMC race filter came too oily from the factory which caused my bike to become too rich. So the powercommander was programmed to make my bike leaner to run at its optimum A:F ratio. As time goes on, and the oil dries out a few thousand miles ahead, then the A:F ratio could gradually become lean, causing some serious sh*t to occur to my engine. Another reason to run 91 octane in my opinion. For those that never got their baby dynoed, and your bike is not 100% stock, than just pray that you are not running dangerously lean, thats all.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:37 PM

Can I benefit from using 91 octane if I am running the power commander and I'm nearing a lean A:F ratio. My tuner thinks so, and its like extra insurance in case pinging or knocking ever were to occur, if say you happen to run extra lean from some sort of riding weather(ie cold front, tornado, hurricane, whatever whatever).
I'm not an engine tuning expert, nor do I play one on tv. Could 91 hurt? probably not. I don't know what you've done to your bike though. Most of the de facto performance mods that people do (e.g. pciii, aftermarket exhaust) won't warrant the necessity of higher octane. Its not until you start playing with ignition advancing, different cams, different pistons, etc (i.e. really expensive internal engine mods) that you'll start needing higher octane gasoline and tuning for higher octane.

I know the answer to my question, I guess people need to realize in some cases 91 could benefit people especially if they are running on the lean side. I could be wrong though, nobody is stepping up to the plate to answer that quesiton. New slogan "Got *****". Lets here your response.
So if you already know the answer, why not just come right out and say it. Why do you feel the need to continue this pi$$ing match with others in this thread.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:44 PM

............................ If you ride like a *****, you need the lower quality juice in your bike. But these guys are doing about 130 most of the time when they are out riding on the nice twisty roads. At 100 I can't catch up to them, so there are always two bikes behind me a few feet to keep on eye on me. You know the drill. .....
Hate to make you look like a dumb *** but you aren't riding **** for twisties if you can do a constant 130mph.......What are you hitting like 160degree turns?

It's not physically possible to hit some REAL twisties at those CONSTANT speeds.

Quick Reply: Octane discreptancy, a must read.