Not starting -- lights but won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Not starting -- lights but won't turn over

Help! I have a '05 CBR600RR that was serviced about seven months ago. The mechanic nearly killed me by not installing my oil filter properly. I discovered this while traveling at speeds exceeding 80 mph on the freeway, being engulfed in white smoke. When I exited the freeway, my back tire was covered in oil. (lucky to be alive) He towed the bike in, gave me some bs story about it being a defective oil filter. He pressure washed the bike and towed it back to me the next day. It sat for a few days, then when I went to ride it, it wouldn't start. Lights, but nothing else. The tow man came, tried to start it, same thing. He took it to the shop and the mechanic told me, he walked up to it and it started right up. And continued to do so for the next day. I rode it for some time (maybe a month?), with no issues. One day, rode to the gas station a couple blocks away, filled the tank and it happened again. Lights, nothing else. A friend helped me bump start it and I took it back home. The mechanic said he couldn't do anything unless the problem existed and at this point it was running.
It just happened again this morning. Bike was cold, had sat overnight. I've since tried to bump start it and couldn't. This is about the fourth time (it happened again at the same gas station, but it was 114 degrees and I was in my full leathers and had to push it home.) over the course of 7-8 months. No one seems to have an answer for me.
I just want it fixed but unless the problem exists when I take it in, they can't help me.
I checked all the fuses today and they are good.
The man I bought the bike from kept it in impeccable shape~detailing, service, riding.

Please someone give me some good advice. I love my bike and depend on it, so I am feeling lost at the moment and very frustrated.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When it's not starting, what kind of sound does it make when you hit the starter button?

Old 11-16-2010, 05:00 PM

No sound.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:16 PM

Sometimes it starts, other times there's no sound? Sounds like bad connections in the starter button.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:19 PM

Does that mean the starter has to be replaced? I spoke to a mechanic today and he said they usually don't come back from being bad. (i.e. If it goes, the bike won't start running right again until it's replaced.)
Someone suggested the starter solenoid?

Old 11-16-2010, 05:38 PM

I'm talking about the physical starter button. If there's not even a click when you press it, the signal isn't getting from the button to the starter relay. That it sometimes works, gives the impression of a bad connection.

Sometimes the solder in the starter button deteriorates. A connection on the starter relay could be loose. Here's another question: when you press the button and it doesn't start, does the headlight dim?

Old 11-16-2010, 05:45 PM

I just tried it and YES!!! The headlight dims completely!! What does that mean? Oh, are you really getting to the bottom of this?? I will send you chocolates or beer . . .

Old 11-16-2010, 06:18 PM

Well if the headlights dim, the circuit is closing. Very low chance its the button.

It's definitely electrical, imo. And I don't think it's getting past the starter relay. Somewhere along the mechanics that have looked at it, has any of them verified the connections on the starter relay and battery? Made sure they're tightened down?

I'm starting with the simplest answers (cause they're usually overlooked). The "not bump starting" would also have me checking the connections on the stator. But one thing I'd do before breaking out anything bigger than a screwdriver (for the battery leads) is verify the battery's charge.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 AM

Shoot.
I really haven't had a mechanic "look it over" because each time this happens, it stops happening before they see it.
The battery is fairly new.

Stator? Is that the equivalent to a rectifier? I had an '94 CBR F2 that had problems with that.

If it doesn't start tomorrow, I will have it towed in and I will suggest your thoughts.
Thanks.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:10 AM

Simple solution, take a test meter and fun it to the hot wire on the starter! if you get current there then its your starter ..if not move up to the relay .. untill your up to the harness .. let me know what you have

Quick Reply: Not starting -- lights but won't turn over