No keys....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No keys....

So im thinkin about buying a salvaged motorcycle that doesn't have any keys.... how would you go about getting a set for the bike? would you have to buy the whole ignition for the bike?

Old 11-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Default RE: No keys....

You can have the ignition taken apart and the key number is printed on it.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:43 PM

Id get a whole new ignition if it was me.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:40 AM

new ignition. it will take months to get that damn key

Old 11-12-2008, 06:38 AM

New ignition is much cheaper and easier. Just keep in mind that you'll have two keys because of the tank and/or trunk/helmet lock etc..

Wait a minute...you will need a key for everything, and thereis no reason to make two different keys so you might want to take the ignition out and have a locksmith make a key.

One thing though. Why would it have no key? You should obviously make sure it isn't stolen. Have the bmv run the vin just in case. Check in every state it has ever been titled/registered in. I have never done this, but have heard that you can.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:50 AM

i would first get the vin ran just to make sure that it isnt stolen. but i would go with a whole new ignition. its cheaper and it will save you alot of agony.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: asidari

i would first get the vin ran just to make sure that it isnt stolen. but i would go with a whole new ignition. its cheaper and it will save you alot of agony.
rright, that's fine, but like I said earlier, how is he going to open the fuel cap (or anything else which used the original key)?

Taking the ignition (or gas cap) out and having a key made is pretty much the only option, and a good locksmith should be able to make the key for you. Call around first.

If the key number is printed on the inside of the ignition like tomp said, that it's worth considering, but it would probably be more expensive to have a dealer do this.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:02 AM

^^^ oh **** good point. i forgot about that. wouldnt he be able to get one from the company from using the vin number like they do with cars.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:49 AM

I just bought a salvage 2007 last week...it came with no key. We tried yesterday to get one, but to no avail. The dealership, lock smith...no one could help us. Took the ignition off, had it in hand, and the dealership said they could do nothing about it and that I had to buy a new set.

I'm parting out the bike anyways, but it would have been nice to not have to drill out the tail lock and to be able to sell the gas tank with fuel cap...

FYI - A new lock set is about $190 on honda-partsdirect.com

Old 11-12-2008, 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: jfunkRR

I just bought a salvage 2007 last week...it came with no key. We tried yesterday to get one, but to no avail. The dealership, lock smith...no one could help us. Took the ignition off, had it in hand, and the dealership said they could do nothing about it and that I had to buy a new set.

I'm parting out the bike anyways, but it would have been nice to not have to drill out the tail lock and to be able to sell the gas tank with fuel cap...

FYI - A new lock set is about $190 on honda-partsdirect.com
I'm sure they could help you, they were probably just afraid that you might have stolen the bike. You are pretty shady lookin .

Quick Reply: No keys....