The New Rizoma Zero-11's

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The New Rizoma Zero-11's

Are not very good in my opinion. I ordered 4 of them and installed only the 2 front ones. The reason is because they have a new converter/resistor box on them that is kind of large. The problem with the updated signals is that they only have 1 LED in them, and it runs on 6 volts.

I found this the hard way. I installed the front two with the boxes, and all was ok, for now, and I will tell you why later. I attempted to install the rears without the boxes on them and I went to test fit only one on the rear, FLASH, done. I burned the one out. You absolutely have to have the converter boxes connected on the new Rizomas or you will smoke them.

I ordered another from PJ on Saturday Morning, and within 10 min, he called me back and asked what was going on with the oneI burned, andI told him my story. PJ is awesome BTW, and I would be glad to do business with him again, but he was suprised about the new signals because he did not know about the resistor/converter box either due to this being his first shipment of the new signals. He said he would send me another one no charge, but he would like the other one back. Awesome!

It gets better though. I rode to my girlfriend's house with only the front signals installed, and the old signals on the back. I get there and neither one of the Rizomas are lit up anymore. I wired them to run as daytime running lights by using the diodes and all that, but you cannot do it on these either. I got back to my place, removed the fairings, and then felt how hot the converter boxes were, and they were probably 150-200 degrees. F*ck. I then took the boxes apart, and all the solder was melted off of the circuit boards on each of them. Great.

The resistor boxes convert the 12 volts down to 6 volts and that have 2 large resistors within to slow the blink rate. These resistors get very very hot with constant voltage for the running lights and melt everything apart. I then had to re-solder the circuit boards and cut the running light wire off so they can now only be used as regular turn signals. All in all, the new signals take up too much space, and their functionality is cut in half from the old ones.

I am about to go the parts store and or radio shack to find some 12 to 6 volt reducers and attempt to run the front Rizomas off of thatallowing me toremove resistor boxes and run them continuous. Just remember that you can not run the new Rizomas without the boxes. Also remember the new Rizomas suck and youcannotuse them as running lights either because the converter boxes WILL overheat.

Here are some pics of the new Zero-11's with the great new box.

[/URL]
http://www.putfile.com/pic/8015071

[/URL]
http://www.putfile.com/pic/8015072

Old 04-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Default RE: The New Rizoma Zero-11's

please post pics of them installed. i'm dying over here....

Old 04-20-2008, 12:41 PM

well that sux monkey ballz! ii wanted to order some rizomas too, ah well...guess i got to look into something else now. and yah,post sum pics like papi sed.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:50 PM

Well I only have the signals on the front of the bike until I recieve the other one, so I am kind of reluctant to take pics yet. I am so discouraged over the matter because I cannot finish it right now. I ordered some 12v to 6v reducers from ebay, and I will remove the old boxes from the front of the bike to install the reducers in order to have running lights. I will keep the boxes on the rear of the bike when I install them so that I will have a somewhat slower flash rate. Sorry for the bad news everyone.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:36 PM

Are they brighter than the old ones? I mean, the older versions were some of the brightest LED turn signals I have ever seen

Old 04-20-2008, 04:53 PM

I am not sure if they are brighter because I have never owned the old model, but I wish I did. They seem pretty bright to me.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks that you fried a signal and a box. I had no idea they ran on 6v and used converters to convert the electricals. From what I read from Rizoma.......I just assumed they were resistor packs.

But, when modifying anything to work in a way other than they were designed to........you have a tendancy to run into problems like this. It doesn't mean they're bad signals, or that they suck........it just means that they are designed to work a certain way. You learned the hard way that they don't work when hardwired directly into the bike. And you also learned that you cannot use them as running lights. A costly lesson, but now you know. I can understand your frustration and anger though. It sucks ruining something you spent a lot of money on.

Did the signals come with instructions on installing them? I know the older Rizoma's never did, but they didn't have all the new circuitry that these new ones have.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:04 PM

I understand what your saying fox but if they do not function as they should, like the running light portion, that makes it a sub par product... personally I am looking for a set of the old ones for my front

Old 04-20-2008, 08:07 PM

thats a pain in the As*..to install!!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:51 PM

Crap, I should have ordered extras from the old ones when I had the chance.

Now I'll be even more paranoid about dropping the bike since I can't get the turn signals anymore.

Quick Reply: The New Rizoma Zero-11's