New Rider Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Rider Recommendation

I have a female friend who now wants to get a bike. We went to the motorcycle show and she sat on several bikes and liked....guess......the 600rr the best.

For a second bike, I'd say "go ahead". And for a guy I would say don't get a current generation supersport as a first bike. But for a girl........(???)

What would you recommend?

Old 01-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Rider Recommendation

Well there def some things to consider here,
1. Has she ever been on a bike before, and for that matter does she even know how to drive a standard in a car?
2. Is she more of a petite size girl, or avg?

If you can answer 1 or both of the above w YES, i def wouldnt rec a 600RR let alone a new one!, my vote would be maybe the new Ninja 250? those things look great imo, and w little power and very low weight, its an ideal first bike for a girl.

However is she's determined to start on a bigger bike, id deg suggest an F4i, just my 2 cents

Old 01-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a 250 like I do for everyone else and take the MSF and buy full gear b4 even thinking of hitting the streets!!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:00 PM

I should add that we live in an area where 30HP from a 250 would probably be dangerous for a newbie. I should also add that she's never been on a bike before as Pilot in Command and will be going the MSF route....and of course I'm going to try and get her hooked on trackdays and trackschools (wink, wink).

Old 01-15-2009, 07:28 PM

I taught my ex on her 08 cbr 600rr She had only been on my bike once and she dropped mine once going like 10 mph. Its all about controlling yourself I think when if comes to size of the bike. My first bike was an 06 f4i

Old 01-16-2009, 09:50 AM

My first bike was an 01 F4i that was not in top shape. I would recommend getting her a 01-02 F4i that's already beaten up a bit in case she drops it, and if she does drop it parts can be found everywhere cheaply and it's still not a big jump if she then wants to get a 600RR someday.

Bad move to start her on a new 600RR.

If she has never ridden a bike ever before, I'd start with the 250 maybe, teach her how to shift and then the F4i and then the 600RR, if she's still interested by then.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:18 PM

+1 to what they said...

Old 01-16-2009, 06:54 PM

No way to a brand new bike for a newbie thats never been on a bike, guy or girl. I know its kinda off topic but I think the best way to learn to ride motorcycles is to learn on a dirtbike in the sand. Its challenging, dirtbikes are cheap and sand doesnt usually hurt. I learned on a kx250 in the sand and now I ride a cr500, after years of riding in the sand I still go down almost every trip, usually just low speed washouts when cornering. My biggest concern for beginners is getting used to the controls, if you have to think about what your going to do when someone pulls in front of you, its too late. Offroad is the best place to learn IMHO.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:43 PM

why not let her get what she wants. she's paying for it right?proper training with alot of respect for the bike & streets & decent gear should be adequate. dont see what the engine size has to do with it. i'm almost positive not all of us went through the motorcycle evolution (100cc, 250cc, 500/600cc) in our process of getting our 1st bike. you might say it has too much power for her, well i say the power starts & ends with her right wrist. msf + practice + anti-squid behavior + practice = she'll be fine. did i mention practice.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: jmac

why not let her get what she wants. she's paying for it right?proper training with alot of respect for the bike & streets & decent gear should be adequate. dont see what the engine size has to do with it. i'm almost positive not all of us went through the motorcycle evolution (100cc, 250cc, 500/600cc) in our process of getting our 1st bike. you might say it has too much power for her, well i say the power starts & ends with her right wrist. msf + practice + anti-squid behavior + practice = she'll be fine. did i mention practice.
If I had to do it over again, I would start with less power. Most street riders develop bad habits because power can mask poor cornering technique. Now I'm learning to do it the right way and I can outride many literbike riders. Just my $.02 and response to your post. But thanks for your opinion, there is some validity to you.

BTW- I'd potentially pay for it too with seeing her hurt up or worse.

Quick Reply: New Rider Recommendation