New rider, new cbr?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider, new cbr?

Hey everyone, I'm very new to riding(just took endorsement course). Ever since I have been looking into bikes I've always had a thing for cbr's. I'm thinking of getting a 600rr either 07' or 09'. The 09' has all of 3 miles on it while the 07' has about 2300. I heard that breaking in your own engine is usually the best way to go although the 07 only having 2300 miles isn't fully broken in yet.. If anyone knows, what are the differences between the 2 years? Besides the possible abs.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:45 AM

The difference between the two is the 09 has a few different color options, they have engine covers a big negative is the restricted emissions that give it between 6-10 horses less not sure on the actual number that's pretty much the difference between the two I have an 09 and I love it the emission issue can be fixed with an irc-2 which runs about $55 there is also a rumored curse but somewhat true about new riders and 07 models they have the highest number of crashes not to deter u from the 07 though just my lil input but both are great bikes and very similar and most parts that are out will fit both years good luck with which ever u choose

Old 08-28-2010, 08:26 AM

^yeah, besides all that. they'll both get a newbie killed equally as fast... get something smaller, don't be an idiot. You just said you got your endorsement, and you're ready to hop on one of the fastest 600's out there? Good plan... and it's not a "curse", it's people like you that think they know how to ride, hop on, and go down in the first month of having it. good luck.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Junior2552
^yeah, besides all that. they'll both get a newbie killed equally as fast... get something smaller, don't be an idiot. You just said you got your endorsement, and you're ready to hop on one of the fastest 600's out there? Good plan... and it's not a "curse", it's people like you that think they know how to ride, hop on, and go down in the first month of having it. good luck.
Don't scare the **** out of the guy he may be more careful then alot of us. He is not asking which is more dangerous, he is asking the difference between the two. I for one would never recommend getting something small because in the long run in six months you will want to sell it and buy a 600. All I can say is there is no break in, thats all bogus to protect the dealer warrantee and which ever you get remember be safe and always watch for the idiots around you, your invisable. Johnnyh

Old 08-28-2010, 10:58 AM

Thanks grida for the info. So there's really not much of a difference between the 2 besides color and minor body details? Yeah, I've heard of that "curse" too, not sure if it's true or not but never really been superstitious. Junior, I know I am new to riding, but I can't say that i was planning on walking out of the dealership and jumping on the bike from the back, cranking the throttle and pulling a wheelie out of the lot into traffic. I know I will be taking it slow until I'm 200% confident with the machine, always been taught to "respect the machine". Johnny, thank you for your kind words and input. I also agree with not starting too small, I would get tired of a 250 within a few months and want to upgrade right away. I'm sure of it and I'm glad someone else sees it that way. I originally wanted a 1000 rr but I know that is definately too much power for me as a newbie.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:13 PM

My first and only bike is a 07RR bought new 3 years ago. I haven't been down yet not saying I never will. Keep your head on and take it easy. Any size bike can get away from you experienced or not. It's unfortunate that you ask for advice and get insulted in such a way. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Last edited by willcbr600rr; 08-28-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by willcbr600rr
My first and only bike is a 07RR bought new 3 years ago. I haven't been down yet not saying I never will. Keep your head on and take it easy. Any size bike can get away from you experienced or not. It's unfortunate that you ask for advice and get insulted in such a way. Good luck on whatever you decide.
I didn't insult anybody. Every rider knows how dangerous it is to jump on a 600RR as your first bike, ESPECIALLY the newer ones. Apparently I just needed to be that one dick head on here that tells him the truth. And he also mentioned he was a brand new rider. I started on a 600, so I'm not saying it can't be done. But I didn't start on a BRAND NEW 600RR. That's a death wish. I'm not gonna start a huge thread over it, we have plenty of those. He got his question answered, so all is well.

Last edited by Junior2552; 08-28-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:38 AM

I didn't insult anybody. Every rider knows how dangerous it is to jump on a 600RR as your first bike, ESPECIALLY the newer ones. Apparently I just needed to be that one dick head on here that tells him the truth. And he also mentioned he was a brand new rider. I started on a 600, so I'm not saying it can't be done. But I didn't start on a BRAND NEW 600RR. That's a death wish. I'm not gonna start a huge thread over it, we have plenty of those. He got his question answered, so all is well.

Its not the machine bro, its your and average rider's mind. A really exited biker or lets say an adrenaline junky has good chances of going down on even a 250, let alone a 600. Its all about control man, if that dude cant ride for ****, then he will go down no matter what but it sounds like he is a responsible rider. If he's a decent rider like everyone else then he will be fine even if he gets a liter bike as long as he takes it slow and easy

Old 08-29-2010, 04:40 AM

however, i still agree with you that its not good to start on new bikes cuz if you go down then it will be disappointing because they are expensive as compared to cbr f3 which i started on

Old 08-29-2010, 04:48 PM

I could not say the difference between the 2 models but is the '07 being bought from a shop or person? Buying from a shop will cost more due to shipping and other crazy charges. I personally prefer the '06 and '07 model. When I was shopping for my 1000rr I could have bought a 07 model with a couple of miles but I found one being sold by the owner with 2700 miles. The new with less miles would have costed 3K more than what I paid. I would like to add that a motorcycle is no different than a loaded gun sitting on a table. The idiot that is in control of the equipment is the deadly factor.

Quick Reply: New rider, new cbr?