New rider needing some major help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New rider needing some major help!!

Congrats on making your decision .. you will love the 600!!

+1 for taking the MSF course .

Go ahead and lowerthe bike(can't believe I'm typing this []) ... (highly recommend notgoing past 1 inch though).
But I agree with baileyjn .. its your first bike .. you want to be comfortable and confident. Yes you WILL loose some handling ability of the bike but just beAWARE of it. . I can't stress thatenough! know that your pegs,engine casing, and plastic will becoming more susceptible to being dragged.Don't go out there and catch your peg on the pavement and get yourself killed. Just get to know your bike and your limits.

Iwould only recommend by a suspension professional like you said. Your talking about rear suspension "lowering links" roughly $120.00 - $250.00 or shortening the stock rear shock .. but the stock progression rate will remain the same unless you cut the spring to the right height~ $250.00. Professional to shorten your front forks can run upwards of $300.00 and then don't forget to get a shortened kickstand $50.00 - $100.00.
~Sports Rider info....

I don't know but I've been told that some places recommend taking out some of the seat foam ... but I don't know if this can be done with our bikes. My a** hurts enough from longer rides as is,so i can't imagine any less foam [&:]...lol

The reason why you will hear people yelling and screaming not to lower the bike is because the bike is a GREAT handling machine from the factory and it will hinder the handling like I mentioned before. ...BUT most bikes are built to accommodate a person of 5' 7' or taller weighting 185+ pounds and thats not you, so you need to do whats right for you to feel comfortable on the bike.

GOODLUCK!!

Old 09-11-2007, 04:04 AM

OK, I plan on this bike to be a "go hang out with the guys and pick up chicks" kind of bike. NO RACING, it is a stupid thing if not done by professionals, which note: I AM NOT. lol. I might give a bit of gas every now and again, but thats about it. I asked around about wheelies and what not, just so I know what NOT to do, until I am ready. Thank you very much for your help.

Also, what are "pegs" as you mentioned? Also, what is the "engine casing"? Or does it matter? The course I took was on safety measures and basic riding skills. I heard nothing of pegs or engine casings, unless you meant by the place where your feet go when riding. I don't plan on making HUGE turns to where my "pegs" would come close to the ground anyways. That would require racing speeds and turns, which I plan not to attain.

What I meant by "lowering it" was "How do I get the seat further down so my feet are firmly planted?"

Thank you for everything!

Old 09-11-2007, 06:34 AM

The steps I listed above is what will need to be done to "lower" your bike to allow your feet to be placed firmly on the ground flat.

As for "pegs" yes you got it. Its where you put your feet on.

Your engine casing is the metal around the engine that is exposed and not covered by your fairings(plastics) infront of your shins.

But you'd be surprised the first time you stick a corner ... you'll become addicted. Its was these things were made to do! . Just be aware and ask questions and you'll be fine.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:00 AM

OK, with that said... My dealership said that they could lower it for me. What's up on that? Are they just blowin smoke or can they actually do all that you mentioned up above?

Old 09-11-2007, 10:12 AM

If your dealership said they can do it then most likely they can. I know my dealership that I bought my bike from can lower a stock '07 if requested for a fee. ..Ask them what'sinvolved when they do it and then post it up here and we'll tell you if they are blowing smoke.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: crashkhanman

Ok .. here's my input from what I've gather in the little time i've been riding (and by NOOO means do I know everything, FAR from it). I'm am new to the whole riding seen aswell. I picked up a 2007 CBR600RR a month ago. My first bike ever. I didn't really grow up with dirtbikes but I have had my fair share of experiences on them, good and bad. The 07 RR is a GREAT bike. Just know what people are telling you, its Not a beginner bike. It is crazy powerful ... 1st gear 72mph, 2nd 102mph. and so - on but thats not important. Even tho you grew up on the dirt ...street is a completely different beast. Knowing that you don't know anything about the bike is the first start... congrats... turning for help was another good idea.. props.... anywho, Take the MSF course first thing ... its helps alot. With your bonus make safety gear the initial investment aswell ... like the good ol' saying goes ... "its not if your going to lay it down ... but when and how bad" PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, I can't stress that enough. Things like emergency braking, braking in corners, obstacle avoidance. Watch out for the new tires ... they areveryslick for the first 300 miles...take itREALLY Easy.Get to know the bike and how it response to gravel, rain, hard accelerate ...etc. When turning the bike ... go threw these steps in yourhead... it helps ..Slow, Look, Lean, Roll. ... Slow down going into the turn ... Look through the turn... lean into the turn, while Rollinggently on the throttle. Don't follow too closely for a while, get to know your brakes. Ride with-in your limits. Let your riding buddies know that you are new to street, there's nothing wrong with that. Don't try to impress people, they aren't the one's paying for the damages if/when something goes wrong. As for wheeling you shouldn't be doing that for a while and definately not on the streets. I am 5' 8' 170pounds and the bike is fine where its at, even with riding a passenger. You might have to lean the bike a little to one side and use a little muscle but nothing dramtic. Lowering the bike can be done but I would not recommend it. There is a lot more to it then just tightening down a spring. More headache then what its worth. As for your dealer asking 9499.... thats high. .. with the '08 coming out you would be safe making an offer around 8600 - 8700. Sorry to preach but little advice like that was given to me by these very knowledge people on this forum and I go out everyday to a scratch free baby. Hope this helped and goodluck with your purchase!! you'll love every minute with it!!
^+1
That's the best response to your question. Crashk is the only one who even mentioned the MSF.
Here's my 2 cents.

1. Get a used bike. You will likely drop it and it hurts more to repair a new bike (even if u got a $hit load of money) than an used one .
2. Make sure its a 600. The F4i is known to be more newbie friendly and a great track/street bike (and its not bcos i ride an F4i). Try out any bike before you buy and make sure you comfortable on it.
3. Don't go carrying no passenger before u've matured on your bike. In 3-6 months you might just know how to move or handle a street/race bike, but not really 'matured' in riding. When you've ridden for some time, u can happily get the new bike of your dream.
4. Spend that extra money on riding gear, you will need every bit of it.
5. Knowing its hard to change a decided mind, and you may want to overlook a lot said, whatever you do, be safe.

Enough said and good luck.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:01 PM

OK, I went to the dealership and they said that if I got both bikes and bought them in cash, that they would lower it for free. They didn't say what lowering it intitled.

and to orags post: Which is the best gear? If I have a black 07 600? I mean, I would like something stylish and sexy (something the ladies would go "ohh come to mama") y'know?, but something that would protect me also.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:40 AM
Banned

try stuff on..if you get a lill excited in yer pants...buy it...i like textile..its lighter, and not 800 bucks...

Old 09-12-2007, 08:16 AM

On a bike, anything is sexy.
[ul][*]For regular street commute, i go all the way out, Icon body armour, knee & elbow pads with aramide riding shorts under regular clothing.. I use a mesh jacket (Fieldsheer) wt CE armour in back, shoulders & elbow and also fieldsheer boots.[*]For 'aggressive' riding, its full leathers + Alpinestars boots.[/ul]Gloves, helmet, jacket and boots are always mandatory. Simply put, look for armour/protection in the right places and find what you are most confortable in, color inclusive.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:27 AM

No offensce PICsuspect but worrying about what types of gear you need to attract women isn't exactly what you should be worried about. If you don't wear the right stuff, getting road rash wont be winning your self any beauty contests later on. (brands that i suggest are Icon, Joe Rocket and AlpineStar)

You sound like the guy who belives that by buying that super cool or sexy bike or car that you all of the sudden become a chick magnet. While it may help you have women look your way, your still the same guy that you were before. In essence the machine does not make the man, but rather the man makes the machine.

GL with your purchase of your 600

Quick Reply: New rider needing some major help!!