New rider needing some major help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: New rider needing some major help!!

But thanks for the concern, lol. But yeah, anymore advice?
Nope. You already got all the answers anyways........ Sounds just like my oldest son.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

think i may be a bit to late for this one but ill put my 2c in

There should be no need to lower it, im just 5ft6, maybe 7 on a good day and ill have the ***** of both feet on the ground, if i need to adjust something when im stopped at lights ill put 1 foot properly down to keep it upright, the bike is light enough that you can have full control with just the 1 foot

There are a few differences between dirt and road, the main 1 is there are people in cars who just wont see ya, whether they are on their phone, talking to a friend or getting sexual favours from their partner in the passenger seat, hey dont say it never happens, but a 1 tonne lump of metal with a dizt blonde at the wheel hurts a hell of a lot more that another bike and no matter how skilled you are, if the other driver is bad enough they can hit you

Hang on as long as you can, just not to late that there are no 07s left and drop into the dealer, and if there are 2 of yous buying it will be an even sweeter deal

Anyway best of luck with the bike, youve choosen a real cracker

Old 09-07-2007, 08:51 PM

I don't know about you but after boot camp I came out with only $100.00. USMC.

After Infantry school up in Pendleton I came out with $00.00.

After MOS school in Lejeune NC I came out with $100.00

In the USMC there are NO free time to go shopping while in any training prior to MOS schooling and I still came out broke.
(must be great to be in the Army)

The only thing you should look forward to is the $10,000 bonus...if that. They sometimes cut that in half...%50...I've heard stories from an Army coworker.

I agree, I wouldn't buy a brand new bike...unless you know you will be stationed somewhere permanently(more than 6mos).

Old 09-07-2007, 09:19 PM

Same here I came out of basictraining with less money that I went in with. I had no free time at all until I was at my first base.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:18 PM

Wow guys, I'm not sure that you are grasping my financial situation. Here it is in the plainest terms I can make it. OK, I am getting a 20,000 bonus for shipping out before the 30th of September. I am also getting an additional 18,000 bonus for going into Airborne school. So, in just my bonuses alone, I am getting 38,000. Also, I get 1,544 a month for standard E-3 pay. So, I will be finished with all of my training (basic and AIT and Airborne school) in 6 months. Then I will get stationed at a base. Then I will buy my bike. OK, I get 10,000 of my bonus gauranteed after all my training. Plus I get my 6 months of E-3 pay which totals out to be just a little under 10,000. So I will have about 20,000 to spend out of basic. They take my costs of clothes and what not from my remaining bonus. Does anyone get this?

Also, why shouldn't I lower it? I mean, if I have my girl on the back, and all I am doing is tippy toeing it, I wouldn't think that I could balance the wieght since I am tilting to one side. I think it would be a weight distribution problem. I mean, my girl is 5'7" and weighs about 110 and I would think that her on the back would effect the balance factor. I am just saying that I think tippy toeing it is kind of un-safe, right? If I was flat foot on the ground then it would seem a bit more safe, right? What exactly does lowering it effect and is it a bad effect or good effect?

Old 09-07-2007, 10:33 PM

boots verus shoes

I got into my first bike accident the day I tried out my new calf high Harley Davidson "Black Fury" boots. I was fine them other times riding with just my regular ankle high leather boot.

From the top of the tip of the HD shoe at the tip of the toe to the bottom was like 3" thick(height). My regular boot was 1"3/4 thick.
I had trouble fitting that dang HD boot between the foot pedal and the clutch. Got distracted, lots!

I myself am going back to leather dress shoes 1"1/2. At least I will feel comfortable in them.

NOT a recommendation though! Just a preference.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:01 AM

How have you ridden on the dirt for 10 years and not gone down? In the last 3 years I have 30k miles on a harly 1200c sportster, 954rr and 1000rr. I have never been down on the street. I have ridden dirt for about 15 years. In the last year I have taken my wifes xt 225 down at least 4 times and my crf 450 down about the same. If you aren't going down on the dirt then you aren't pushing your limits. If you are afraid to push limits on the dirt I don't think you will have any problem starting on an rr bike because obviously you don't ride crazy.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:06 AM

ORIGINAL: JimmieDon

How have you ridden on the dirt for 10 years and not gone down? In the last 3 years I have 30k miles on a harly 1200c sportster, 954rr and 1000rr. I have never been down on the street. I have ridden dirt for about 15 years. In the last year I have taken my wifes xt 225 down at least 4 times and my crf 450 down about the same. If you aren't going down on the dirt then you aren't pushing your limits. If you are afraid to push limits on the dirt I don't think you will have any problem starting on an rr bike because obviously you don't ride crazy.
Oh ya one more thing. For me riding on the dirt is way harder than on the street because on a street bike it just hooks up and you dont have to worry about sliding around unless your tires are cold and ur powering into a turn or hit sand or something. So I have to say riding on dirt is way harder and takes far more skill than the street. The difference is the time you screw up on the street you are seriously hurt or dead. You are going way faster and have to worry about traffic. Even though dirt is more difficult, when you go down on the dirt your only going 30 and fall on the dirt which skins you a bit but dont kill you like going down on the street.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:34 PM

Go for the new bike and have fun!! I only passed my test 8 days ago and bought the 600rr7 for my first bike. I'm now 1 week in and done 580 miles already (got to book that 1st service now!!). I have been on a very steep learning curve - learning from some 'bike racer' friends - who know how to handle a bike!!

So long as you understand that you are somewhat limited in what you know and can do (ie. know your limitations), you will be fine. I know that y bike can do a hell of a lot more than I can do on it - I know, my biker friend showed me!! When I'm ready to advance, I will!

Just taking it easy and having fun. I've been 110mph and starting to rev it up to 12,000rpm or so in 1st and 2nd. Every day, I'm geting a little faster and feeling more and more confident. But, at the back of my mind, I know that if I am stupid and push the limits, I'll total it very very easily. But, that's the same with all bikes!!

Old 09-08-2007, 03:55 PM

Wow, OK, JimmieDon, thank you for the help. I was needing a person who knew dirt and street, so, thank you. The reason that I have never fallen in dirt was only because my coach (he is my paintball, soccer, and biking coach and like a father to me) he has always told me to take it nice and slow, and once you have perfected nice and slow, take it up and perfect that level of difficulty. Don't rush yourself, you have all the time in the world. That's why I have never fallen, I would say that it took me about 4 years to perfect dirt bike riding, and that is just the standard "going fast around turns, power sliding, jumping, wheelies, basic riding, and what not." You know, the basics.

Having all that said, which bike should I go for? The 600 or 1000? And, should I have it lowered? What is your opinion on having it lowered? Is it a good or bad thing?

Quick Reply: New rider needing some major help!!