New 2006 CBR600RR Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2006 CBR600RR Owner

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a 2006 Honda CBR600RR this past Sunday. The bike currently has 4000 miles on it. It appears to be in great condition which would be expected with the mileage that low.

I have a few questions regarding maintenance, as I plan on keeping this bike for a long time.

1. The front brake lever needs to be squeezed almost all the way before the front brakes bite, but once they bite they do a great job. On my last bike I barely had to press the lever to get them to bite. I have heard there is a way to adjust the lever any guidance on how to adjust the lever would be greatly appreciated.

2. How often does the oil need to be changed, based on the maintenance guide I looked at it said 8000 miles, but I prefer to follow the forum schedule as people on forums generally care for their stuff better than the general population. What about the brake fluid? Coolant?

3. Lastly, I need to replace the rear tire. The front tire appears to be in decent condition , is it alright to replace only the rear tire, I am going to go with the Dunlop Qualifier tires that come on the bike, is it okay to only replace one tire at a time? I feel like I can go through 2 rear tires by the time I go through one front tire.

Thanks everyone for any insight you can provide. I love this bike, just haven't been able to ride it yet as I am impatiently waiting for my plates!!!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 PM
October 2011 ROTM

1. The brake lever has a dial on it with numbers, I believe it is 1 through 6. This will adjust how close/far the lever is away from the clip on. Have you checked to see how much pad is left? If you're almost out of pad that could play a part in having to squeeze the lever more.

2. I change the oil in my RR at the end of every season and I put about 5K miles on it in a year. If you ride the bike hard and keep the RPM's up I would change it more frequently otherwise once a year should be good. As for brake fluid I don't think it needs to be changes as often as some others. I would change it when it starts to get dark. Coolant about once every 5 years should be good unless you ride it hard.

3. You'll get mixed reviews. Some people will say never do that and others will say it's fine. I'm going to say if the tire has good wear left, no cracks or anything then it is fine to just change the rear.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:14 AM

Thanks for the quick response

Old 08-18-2013, 11:50 PM

I've heard that you should change oil every 3k miles. A stated there us a dial to adjust the brake lever. Make sure the open end if the dial (the open line in the dial) is not exposed/ right side up, as it will let water get into the wire.

Sweet purchase. Make sure to lube the chain often.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:13 AM

Hi denom,

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate all the help I have gotten on the forum thus far. When it comes to adjusting, waxing, and lubing the chain I plan on probably doing it once a season. Is that not enough?

Thanks guys

Old 08-19-2013, 07:34 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Clean and lube your chain every 500 miles. If it sits around and gathers dust and dirt, do it sooner. Anything on the chain will grind up in the links and sprockets.

Change the oil every 3K to 5k depending on your choice of oil. Once a year if you don't put 5k in a year.

You can mix tire brands without a problem. You can mix compounds, but I wouldn't until you are very a experienced rider and have a need for it. Be careful mixing wear patterns and tire profiles. If your front tire is the original, replace it anyway. A 7 year old tire is dangerous to ride on.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:33 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys ... I ordered a set of contimotion tires for my bike, at the same time I get the tires on I am having the oil changed as well as the chain lubed and adjusted etc.

One stupid question, I filled the bike up with gas a few days ago, I cannot seem to get it full is there a specific way I am suppose to insert the pump for it to fill up, or am I suppose to take the pump out and just hope it duznt overflow when I slowly fill it up?

Thanks

Old 08-19-2013, 07:23 PM

Short of holding the bike upright, i don't see how you would truly to off the tank. Just open the cap, insert nozzle and wait till the nozzle cuts out. I can usually only put in 2.7 gallons, and i wait till i have one bar showing.

On another note, on the subject of oil, I've heard that rotella t6 oil is the cheapest, and most effective oil to use. I believe you should get the diesel truck oil, from what I've gathered online. Maybe someone else here could chime in.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:25 PM

Bump this thread to the top ... was going to store my bike for winter guys and have kind of a dumb question. I have a battery tender, and dont know where the battery is for this bike? Do I have to take anything apart to keep the bike on the tender or is it under the seat?

Secondly, I was going to fill the tank to the top and put in some fuel stabilizer, but I have heard that the stabilizer may turn the gas into thick slime? Is that true or just a myth?

Anything else I should do before I store it. Bike will be on stands in my apartment so heated environment.

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2014, 12:27 PM

Never posted pics of my bike ... here they are, what do you think?

Stored for winter

Quick Reply: New 2006 CBR600RR Owner