Need others opinions on stock rears for the 07's!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need others opinions on stock rears for the 07's!

its you being used to your old bike
the tires on the 07 are top of the line for oem tires
especially if you got the dunlop qualifiers. although it is an oem version of the qualifier it is still the same basic tire that other people are choosing to put on their bike to replace other tires.

i have never once fishtailed my 07 even after hitting a 3rd gear corner after a 100mph+ straight

you are either hitting the rear brake too hard in which a lightweight rear rotor will help or you are just chopping the throttle and the engine braking is causing rear end chatter.

my recommendation
you need to use your front more and your rear brake less. i use the rear brake on the street at stoplights to hold the bike still and both street and track when the bike is straight up and down. as soon as the bike starts to lean over the rear brake is off.

get a lightweight rear rotor, i got a machined oem rotor off of ebay and coupled with titanium bolts took almost a half pound of weight off. since there is less surface area for the pad to grab it wont lock up as easily

if you are breaking the rear end loose do to engine braking either learn to blip the throttle or get a slipper clutch

Old 12-23-2007, 09:27 PM

are you downshifting when it happens
if you pull the clutch, downshift and let go of the clutch at a high rate of speed it will also cause this

you have to momentarily rev the engine right before you let out the clutch so the tranny and engine is spinning at the same speed

its either that or you are stomping the rear brake too hard
try adjusting it so that it doesnt press as far down when you engage it
its kinda like those old bicycles where the brake was activated by pressing backwards on the pedals. if you stomp too hard the rear end will lock up and the bike fishtails

same principle

just to diagnose
try riding and not touching the rear at all
you honestly and truly dont need it

Old 12-24-2007, 12:30 PM

Watch for the weight transfer to the front of the bike when using your front brakes, in turn causing your rear to become extremely light. You are probably just use to you old bike and just need a little more time/practice with this one. I know it doesn't take much to lock up the rear brakes if using your front brakes a good amount (practiced alot of controlled lock ups..lol ). I merely use my rear brake to slow down slowly, or on hills, or in stop and go traffic, or when i want to get my hand a break at the stop lights. Never do I find myself needing/using the rear brake under hard riding.

The stock tires are excellent tires on the '07s. As long as you've broke them in, and let them warm up, you're good to go.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:51 PM

You could also be hitting some oil spots where cars have sat for a while waiting for the light. This has happened to me a few times with bikes and tires ie: corsas, 207's, 208's, qualifiers, pilot powers etc. It's going to happen from time to time. Nothing to worry about.
Just remember that the rear gets light causing less pedal pressure to lock it under a harder stop.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:20 PM

i've locked up the rear a few times on my 07. I will admit that I hit it way too hard though, and I caused the lock.i pretty much stay away from the rear brake now under hard braking. If I do use it Iam very gentle.it's a very fine line between slowing with the rear brake and locking it up.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:06 PM

I got an 08 and i cant get the rear to lock up. I don't want it to, but i tried to see if i could and... nope. I was thinking about getting some different pads and braided lines, but what the hell, I don't want the back end to lock up. Maybe if you got the bike used, the first owner put some different pads on it.?.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those stock tires may be "decent" but that's about it. They are no match for the Corsa II's you were use to and if it's cold they suck ballz.

If you have not already adjusted your suspension, you want to go ahead and get it done as a too stick set up will help induse lock up in the rear as well. Personally, I don't use the rear brakes, but that's just me.

Quick Reply: Need others opinions on stock rears for the 07's!