Need Help....with Shifting!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help....with Shifting!!!!

Hey guys,

I know this is really stupid, but I've put about 500 miles on my 03 and I'm still inconsistent with shifting. When I'm riding city streets, normally engage the clutch (halfway) with 2 fingers while rarely easing off the throttle, and kicking the shifter up. Sometimes, I get a nice smooth shift, sometimes I get a jerk, sometimes I get N (from 1st to 2nd) hehe...It's really frustrating!

Are there any recommended techniques with shifting where I can find a little more consistency? Thanks.

E

Old 09-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need Help....with Shifting!!!!

Usually, new riders don't shift with 2 fingers. That's usually something that experienced riders start perfecting. (hell, I've been riding for quite some time, and I still use 4 fingers, AND pull the clutch lever almost all the way to the handlebars.)

Old 09-12-2007, 03:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

Usually, new riders don't shift with 2 fingers. That's usually something that experienced riders start perfecting. (hell, I've been riding for quite some time, and I still use 4 fingers, AND pull the clutch lever almost all the way to the handlebars.)
That's how I do it every time I ride too. All the fingers and all the way down with the grip.

I'm too scared to mess up the bike by not putting enough pressure on the clutch/ grip.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

+2. I also find that as you're releasing the clutch, if you pull the throttle just alittle bit to keep the RPMs up, the shift will be much smoother. It takes some time, but you'll get the hang of it.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:43 AM

Ok, cool...So i guess then it's not just me....This thing DOES take time! I feel that when I have my gloves on, it's a little hard to grip the clutch with all 4 fingers. I guess I should bring the clutch in a bit?

When I do shift smooth, I've noticed bring it in with two fingers works fine. Sometimes, the throttle control is a little uneven while shifting, hence the jerkiness. I guess it just takes time and practice!

E

Old 09-13-2007, 09:16 PM

When you're accelerating hard (shifting above 6000 rpms) it's actually easier on the clutch and drivetrain to shift clutchless.
You do this by preloading the shifter with your foot as you're rolling on the throttle; when you reach your desired shift point, roll off the throttle slightly, and you will "snick" into the next gear. It takes a little bit of practice, until you get the feel for it. It doesn't take too much pressure to "preload" the shifter, just enough to take the play out of the linkage. And you will get the feel for how much to roll off the throttle to "snick" into the next gear. You can actually shift clutchless through all six gears smoothly, although 2nd tends to wanna pop back into neutral if you don't hit it right.
When you're just cruising easy around town, stop and go traffic, and intersections, go ahead and clutch your shifts--"two fingers" is fine. You don't need to fully disengage the clutch; in fact it's more choppy if you do, and you tend to over rev when you're rolling back on, and it sounds to everyone else like you're slipping your clutch. Just a quick little two finger stab/roll off/click/roll on, and you've got a smooth low rev up shift (3000-5000rpm easy going lazy shift).
When you're doing high speed down shifts, you should blip the throttle to match the engine speed to the next gear down. You do this by clutching (two finger half-stab is fine) and "blipping" the throttle (just a quick little crack of the wrist) as you downshift. When you release the clutch, the engine speed should be matching the gear you just downshifted into, and you will be less likely to have "wheel hop" or the back tire locking up from just pounding the downshift and letting the clutch slow you down.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:40 PM

i switch between holding/pulling in the clutch with 2 and 4 fingers, doesnt really make a difference. but my clutch lever is a stiffer than normally so my hand can get tired. i rarely ever pull the clutch all the wayin either. I would practice in a parking lot: easing the clutch out to the point just before it starts moving and barely giving it any throttle and smoothly taking off. works good for me. and a little tip, if u get caught on an incline try letting out the clutch alil bit and releasing the brake, it keeps u in a neutral position (u dont roll backwards or forwards) and soon as u have to go u just throttle up, release, and go. good luck!

Aaron

Old 09-14-2007, 11:03 AM

try too use the sound of the bike and get it to the rev for the speed your going when you slowly let out the clutch, this takes a little practice but that way there is no jerking. dont worry you wont mess the clutch up its a wet clutch which

Old 09-14-2007, 02:06 PM

Is it important for me to rev match when I'm slowing down to a light? When I'm approaching a red light, i'm more considered with slowing down (i.e. braking with my brakes) then engine braking (like V-Twins)...If I'm cruising city streets, I'll probably be in 5th gear close to 4500RPM. When I slow down, I apply brakes, and then downshift as I'm approaching the light...What's recommended?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: CBRYDR

Is it important for me to rev match when I'm slowing down to a light? When I'm approaching a red light, i'm more considered with slowing down (i.e. braking with my brakes) then engine braking (like V-Twins)...If I'm cruising city streets, I'll probably be in 5th gear close to 4500RPM. When I slow down, I apply brakes, and then downshift as I'm approaching the light...What's recommended?
Nah, if you're slowing to a complete stop, don't bother "blipping," unless you just wanna sound really cool pulling up to the stop light! Rev matching is more important in situations where you'regoing fromhigh speed to suddenly slowing down, but you're still moving (like an off ramp on the highway, or a backroads hairpin corner).
Again, the principle is smoothly downshiftingto the next useablegear without locking up the back tire--it's all about transfering power to road, and getting you to your destination as quickly as possible. Where I live, there are a lot of great backroad twisties, and I'm always pounding my way through the gears and pushing the limits of traction, and blipping my downshifts allows me to get down to the gear I need to be in as I enter a corner at the last possible second, without locking up the back tire.
Also,if you have a bike equipped with a slipper clutch, this topic is not nearly as important. But I'm sure that's another discussion all together. . .

Quick Reply: Need Help....with Shifting!!!!