need help with oil

Old 04-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with oil

well I wanna learn how do everything for my bike...so i was wondering if ya'll can help me out...well i just hit 3,000 miles on my 04 600RR and wanted to know what kind of things i gotta update, I know i have to oil change but dont know how, is it like a car?, so here is my question can someone tell me how to oil change?...Thanks

Old 04-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Default RE: need help with oil

Pretty easy. Just like a car. I have an 03' and I found that I can chang my oil without removing any plastics at all. Put the bike on stands (if you have them), remove the drainplug (12mm on the front of the oil pan), then I stick my hand in the little square louvre on the right side fairing. You can get to the oil filter through there, twist it off and take it out through the bottom between the two header pipes. Let oil drain and reverse the steps. Once you master this should be able to do it in 15 min or so. Remember do not overtighten the oil filter( makes this technique difficult.)

Old 04-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Default RE: need help with oil

On the bottom of the oil pan is a drain plug. Pull it and let it drain. Behind the exhaust header there is an oil filter(unscrew it counter clockwise). After leting it drain screw back on new oil filter putting a little oil on the gasket, and put back in your drain plug. On the side of the crankcase there is a cap with a flat tab for your fingers to unscrew. Using a funnel put in two quarts of oil(owners manual specified), and then check the oil level on the peep hole on the crankcase(while bike is level). Your probably still low. Add a little bit and check, add a little bit and check untill full mark is reached. Usually the glass hole has a vertical line. When it is full the oil is at the top of the line,but not entirely up the glass.

Search this Thread