My hands fall asleep after riding for about 30minutes

Old 09-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My hands fall asleep after riding for about 30minutes

hey guys I know I've read from other posts about calling that the death grip and that is the reason for it, but I don't believe I do. Could it be my grips on the bike? if so what do you guys recommend on a 03 cbr600rr..could it also be my gloves? I'm just using a pair of football gloves I had. thanks

Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Default RE: My hands fall asleep after riding for about 30minutes

Getting a decent pair of motorcycling gloves will go a long way on improving your comfort.

Football gloves are designed for maximum grip and control when throwing/catching a football, and therefore have very little padding on the palm area.

Bicycle gloves will provide good padding on the palm, but you will still be woefully unprotected in case of a spill, or geting a rock kicked up to your hand while riding.
Only a good pair of Motorcycling gloves will afford you not only the adequate level of padding on the palm, but also the level of protection you need when you're going 40+ MPH on the road.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:41 AM

Oh ok thanks, I'm ordering some asap...also should I change the grip? if so wuts the best out there? and can you install it yourself?

Old 09-26-2007, 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: team honda

Oh ok thanks, I'm ordering some asap...also should I change the grip? if so wuts the best out there? and can you install it yourself?
You can slip the grips off yourself without too much issue. If your hands are going numb while riding, I usually take my left hand off the bar for a few seconds and squeeze/shake it to get the blood flowing again. Since I don't have cruise for my throttle, my right hand usually stays on the throttle. If you hold the throttle with your thumb and index finger, you can move the rest of your hand around and get some feeling back without affecting your speed too much. I do that on longer rides.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:56 AM

Thats a good idea i'll def give that a try.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

relax lol loosen your grip and bend your elbows. You should be able to flap ya elbows like chicken wings n not upset the bike. If it does your too stiff n need to relax. 8)

Old 09-26-2007, 02:19 PM

stop putting all your weight on your hands. its a bad habbit to brake but i'd almost put money on it . grip the bike with your legs and use your upper body to support your weight ! good example is .... when you take your right hand off sit up and let a little pressure off your right hand things seem to pan out .. your proubly putting to much weight on your hands . try to grip the bike with your legs and upper body . i'm still working on it and i have had this bike for 3 months .. i went from a GS500F ( sport standered sets pretty stright up ) so you have to adjust

Old 09-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to hold yourself up with your abs than with your wrists. You'll fatigue quicker when your wrists are all sore.....not to mention you have more control over the bike.

Buy some motorcycle gloves. Football gloves will disintegrate immediately if you get in a crash. A good quality (talking $100+) gloves will give you the best protection, and extended comfort.

I have a pair of Shift Racing gloves ($119.00)...........EXCELLENT.
I also have a pair of Joe Rocket, Honda Superbike Replica gloves ($99.99)...........EXCELLENT.
I had a cheap ($58 dollar) pair of Alpine Stars gloves............CRAPPY comfort, ugly and started wearing out prematurely.
I had a pair of Alpine Stars gloves ($120.00).............EXCELLENT.

To get a really good pair of gloves, you'll be spending anywhere between $89-120 bucks. But you'll have these forever (willing you don't crash in them), and when you crash in them, you'll be glad you spent the extra $$$ on the protection they offer.

Your grips are fine though. I put 2000 miles on my bike this month alone, one 400 mile trip and the other trip to California, and my hands didn't get numb, tingly or fall-asleep. I was wearing my Joe Rocket Superbike gloves for this trip.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:32 PM

Yea while im riding i tell myself to sit up more less weight on hands but its soo hard to stop...But the way the 600rr is setup your weight is more towards the front I def need more practice sitting more upright and less weight on my hands.....thanks again for all your comments!

Old 09-26-2007, 02:34 PM

Hey Blue Fox, great I just bought a pair online for $24 bux and they were from shift was that just stupid of me, is it not going to help? thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My hands fall asleep after riding for about 30minutes