Is my flasher just bad? or do i just not know how to hook up turn signals?

Old 08-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my flasher just bad? or do i just not know how to hook up turn signals?

long title for a topic i know haha. I am having a problem with my turn signals that i really never thought i'd be having. Its a weird one and the first thing that came to mind was, 'I think the flasher is bad'. but if it is, where in the heck is the flasher at and how do i get another 1? anyways heres the story. I'm completely making over my 600rr, and in the process bought the integrated tail light, and hotbodies front flush mounts. I hooked them back up as usual. I hooked the clip on the integrated signal to its designated factory clip that comes from the bike, and then i hooked the left turn signal wire to the left turn signal on the light, and did vice versa for the right side. I also hooked up the front flushmounts same as usual. Power to power, ground to ground, etc. like so......

So i go to turn the signals on and i get nothing but constant power to them. BUT if you look really close(i dont think you can see it in the pictures), they flash very minutely and VERY fast. If you didnt look close you wouldnt be able to notice. The tail light especially, if i turn it on to flash, you can tell its flashing but its going very fast. so fast that if you didnt look closely you would just assume its getting constant power. So i'm puzzled. There were 4 wires that exited out the back of the bike, were those for the turn signals? I couldnt get my high beam to turn on unless i hooked one of the black wires in the back of the bike up to the battery. i ALSO had a spare black wire in the front of the bike, thati wasnt sure if it was for the turn signals, or for the high beam? I'm puzzled.....

Old 08-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Default RE: Is my flasher just bad? or do i just not know how to hook up turn signals?

More pics....

Old 08-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Default RE: Is my flasher just bad? or do i just not know how to hook up turn signals?

That's exactly what mine did until i added the resistors. One resistor on each turn signal loop in the back, and my problem was fixed---front and rear both worked perfectly.

If you do a search you'll found countless topics on the same problem.

-Adam

Old 08-07-2007, 12:11 PM

long winded question for a two word answer...

Install Resistors

Old 08-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Want the longer answer?

The stock bulbs are higher wattage. The flasher toggles between on and off based on the wattage drawn (This is NOT based on time but on draw).

When you install lower wattage bulbs the flash rate is faster because there is no load...

IF you want to save the extra wattage for something else (heated vest for me, extra lights for someone else) then you want to skip the resistor solution and replace the flasher with a timed unit.

If you don't care about the wattage and the heat - resistors.

As mentioned before: http://customled.com/PRODUCTS/FLASHE...sher_relay.htm

Old 08-07-2007, 02:07 PM

resistors? thanks guys, especially woot for the explanation. It makes more sense to me now. Can i just pick these resistors up at like autozone/discount auto?

Old 08-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did some more reading in that pages FAQ- apparently the setup on most bikes is a time setup BUT that if a bulb is out (drops below required draw) then it does a double fast flash rate to signal a problem...

Resistors? Any electronics store - Radioshack (now circuit city) carries them in Canada. Try CC I guess?

Old 08-07-2007, 02:37 PM

hey man, i still havent solved this problem on my bike. i bought the resistors and couldnt figure out how to hook them up. after fiddling for a few short minutes..the wires broke off the resistors...so i said f' it and my from turn signals are still not wired up, which in turn, affects my rear intergrated turn signal. its whatever. any got an easier solution or a more defined explanation on how to install the resistors?

Old 08-07-2007, 04:08 PM

right, only problem is, what size resistors am i looking for? there are many different resistors out there. i have ones that came off a integrated 954 tail light i bought in the past, tried those on and they did not work.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:31 PM

so, i finally figured the damn thing out. Timbo, what you have to do is, hook one end of the resistor to the old ground coming FROM the bike that was on the old turn signal. and the other end of the resistor to the yellow integrated wire and the positive signal wire coming from the bike. see what im sayin? you need 2 resistorts. 1 for each side. hook them up in the back on each side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is my flasher just bad? or do i just not know how to hook up turn signals?