My first bike ever... any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first bike ever... any tips?

ORIGINAL: Crackers

this whole thread cracks me up. ya ya, Crackers, harr harr.

Anyway, the reason it cracks me up.....

Wow, I sure hope I am not one of those people. Great rant. If I am one of those, I am sorry.
Thom

Old 03-02-2006, 04:17 PM

Tell us about your past, Crackers? Have you ever had two-wheel experience on either bicycles or motorcycles? Because if otherwise then I think you can make use of some valuable advice Fretless has. I had PLENTY, not valuable advice, but two-wheel experience. My first two wheel motorcycle I got when I was 13, I rode it for two years. Before that I had BMX experience from age of 5, it even was a daily thing I did. Now this, CBR600rr. In fact, at the driving school where I went to get my license, they made me lead other drivers when we rode in the street. However, unlike all people who I told I was getting a CBR600rr who discouraged me, I am not going to discourage you, because like me I believe no one can live in fear, or make decisions after such emotions, which many may count as being reckless, but not as long as they make decisions after their intellect. All I can say is that you must to try things out for your self. I am trying, and even you can try. I would only oppose discouragement, it just holds me back from learning new things. I did say that 21 maybe the minimum you may be to handle a CBR600rr, it a "sexy" looking bike, but don't let that fool you, treat it as an advanced machine, a modification of nature by human, it's man made after all, peices of plastic and metal, you just gotta see how hey work. I will not say don't get it, neither I would say sell your 250 and get a 600rr, after all you're responsible for your own actions. I am doing it, and I am glad I tried, for I am no longer in doubt of what it truely is anymore. Seriously, from my heart I would say, for now that you're 20, get a Rukus.
Reading some of the book titles mentioned here is definitely good advice, and of course, educate your self. The experience advanced riders can offer is what I think could be the most valuable help I can have right now, not discouragement, excuse me for that.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:04 PM

Hey man, I just wanted to say congrats on the new bike and good luck breaking it in. I will be embarking on the same mission come the end of this damn Ohio winter. I am stoked to be able to get my new '06rr on the road too. One again, good luck and ride safe!!

Old 03-03-2006, 06:14 PM

Well sure. Like pretty much any American kid, my childhood was split into three sections. Baseball, constructing shoddily built treehouses/forts, and riding my Huffy till the wheels fell off. I was kinda into the whole BMX thing too. Motorcycle experience? Not much. Mostly just good-ol backyard dirtbike stuff.

Hey look man, i'm not doubting your riding abilities one bit. It just happen to think that RR bikes are in an entirely different realm when compared with other bikes, and while most people can control them in everyday riding, it's those rare instances like, soccer mom entering your lane, gravel on the road, whatever else, that can lead to a crash unless you know the bike like the back of your hand. It can take years of practice to really understand these bikes, so just be careful in the meantime. Remember, we're all on the same side here, so ride safe.

I'll take your suggestion to purchase a Rukus with a grain of salt, although i must say, while rather unsightly, they really are fantastic machines. My buddy and I use one to navigate the paddock at Road America when I watch the races there. Anyone who's ever been there knows you NEED something like that to get around.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:10 AM

ORIGINAL: El Magico

Congrats on the purchase. Like was said before, just take is easy and really get to know the bike. You gotta respect the power that it can put out. When I first got mine, I spent the first couple of days just riding around my block, trying to get aquainted with it. Then I took the course, and began riding more and more.

Get to know your bike!!! I worked a dealer for while and saw a lot of bikes leave Friday and com back Saturday wrecked. Learn to ride before you "fall" victim to dark side (stunt). Good luck homey be safe

Old 03-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: 13brsxsrr

Get to know your bike!!! I worked a dealer for while and saw a lot of bikes leave Friday and com back Saturday wrecked. Learn to ride before you "fall" victim to dark side (stunt). Good luck homey be safe
If you are talking about progressing your riding skills to the level of wanting to learn then master 12'oclock wheelies for miles and do endo's, or stoppies, or what ever you wan to call it then I think I've fallen victim to the dark side!!!! What should I do?

Old 03-14-2006, 01:28 PM

Take a safety coarse. Insurance will continue to skyrocket if peeps keep trying to ride like pros when they have no real seat time. Dont be ashamed to be a "NOVICE" rider. We all had to start the same way.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: dragonmaster_91

We all had to start the same way.
Obviously we don't...I started on a cruiser and rode for years before I got a sport bike...

Old 03-14-2006, 02:50 PM

I just bought my 06 orange RR not too long ago and i am def new at this. Its my starter bike and i love it. Maybe its a little much for a starter bike but i have the respect for the machine. If i think i know more than that machine does it gets garaged. I went thru the courses and passed all my tests and i still dont dare to open that thing up. My buddy lost his life due to the fact that speed and in experience played the part. He never did wheelies or tricks didnt believe in them but he went fast and time caught up with him. Just be safe on your new bike..break it in properly, wear your gear, take your courses and be like the rest of us and enjoy the ride more than showin the bike off..seriously the bike shows it self off more than you can.

take care and happy ridin

Old 03-15-2006, 02:24 AM

All i'm saying is that we all had to start form never having ridden a motorcycle until the first time we had the chance. So we all did start the same way.

Quick Reply: My first bike ever... any tips?