My 2003 auto-starts... WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2003 auto-starts... WTF!!!

I finally got my bike running today... It's been like a solid year! Purchased a fresh battery, fixed a bunch of little things (turn signals, new clutch and broke levers, etc.)

I put the new battery in, insert the key, turn the key to the "on" position and it just automatically starts cranking! I pressed "on" the engine button and it automatically started. I didn't have to crank it! WTF.

If I turn the engine off using the "RED" button with the key still in the "ON" position it will keep cranking until I turn it off with the key.

Whats my problem?

The bike is a 2003 CBR600RR with 11K on the clock.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:48 PM

Did you hot wire it when you stole it? :P

Sounds like there is a short in the start button switch or wiring. Did you mess with the controls? Did you mess with any wiring?

If it worked alright before you messed with stuff, it is most likely something you messed with that is stuffing you up. Go back and look at what you did. Hopefully it is obvious.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by F34Me?

Sounds like there is a short in the start button switch or wiring. Did you mess with the controls? Did you mess with any wiring?

If it worked alright before you messed with stuff, it is most likely something you messed with that is stuffing you up. Go back and look at what you did. Hopefully it is obvious.
No, no hot wiring!

Im sure nothing was messed up when i put in new turn signals. It's literally, plug and play. I have taken my switch apart before... Maybe something got screwed up there... I'll check tomorrow.

Any other help is greatly appreciated

Old 07-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kleetz
I have taken my switch apart before... Maybe something got screwed up there... I'll check tomorrow.
My guess is you messed up somewhere when putting it back together.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:42 PM

Let us know what you find when you take it apart.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, it sounds like the switch is assembled wrong. All of those momentary and HOA switches are tough to assemble.

Let us know what you find when you take it apart.
Your bike doesn't auto-start. You must have a base model.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Yep, it sounds like the switch is assembled wrong. All of those momentary and HOA switches are tough to assemble.

Your bike doesn't auto-start. You must have a base model.
You're a base model

Old 07-22-2011, 11:23 PM

lmao!
Originally Posted by F34Me?

Old 07-28-2011, 05:21 PM

Ok I took the switch apart and everything seems fine... But once I put the key in, turn it to the on position, press on the fuel prime button the moment I put my kickstand up it begins to crank. If the fuel prime button in pressed on it will instantly start. If it's off then it will just keep cranking...

Also, if I let it start it sounds like it's still cranking cause there's an ugly grinding sound as if it's still being cranked. If I give it gas it stops once it starts idling it comes back on.

I'm not amused...

I don't know what else to tell you guys to make it easier to diagnose... Suggestions?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 PM

i know a girl who has had the same problem with her 03 ill ask her what she did to fix it. you should check out assfaultjunkies.com thats the site she is on. my names philthethrillohio on there . hit it up man, its a great site with a lot of helpful nice people

Quick Reply: My 2003 auto-starts... WTF!!!