marchesini's

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default marchesini's

I've been thinking about possibly splurging on some of these Aluminum ones but would like your guys help. I've got an 07rr and it seems to me like the rims on the stock is already pretty light? I used to have a F4i and compared to those rims the 07 has holes drilled out of them which I would assume saves weight. Anyone know how much lighter the Marchesini's would be and if it would really make a big positive difference? Would it be possible for it to have a negative effect?

Again, looking for knowledge and advice.

Thanks.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Banned
Default RE: marchesini's

I dont think you will ever truly notice the difference unless your on the track. Even then, its a matter of shaving tenths off of your time. The wheels are more of a bling factor for the street.
If you got the cash to burn, go for it. But dont expect to be going back to 1955 once you hit 88mph.

edit- it was 88mph sorry.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:05 AM

Thanks what do you mean 1955 once you hit 80?
ORIGINAL: dwschultzy

I dont think you will ever truly notice the difference unless your on the track. Even then, its a matter of shaving tenths off of your time. The wheels are more of a bling factor for the street.
If you got the cash to burn, go for it. But dont expect to be going back to 1955 once you hit 80mph.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:15 AM

haha hes talking about back to the future. dont expect much from the rims, just bling on the street like he said. thats my guess

Old 03-18-2008, 01:22 AM

most cnc machined racing wheels are a couple pounds lighter PER wheel, thats 4-6 lbs off yer bike, and thats rotational weight!(think of when you spin a bicycle wheelwhile holding the axle in yer hands, when you try to turn the wheel,you can feel cintrifical forces opposingyour turn),as far as handling goes,losing 1 lb of rotational weight,feels like taking 3 lbs off the chassis, guaranteed, if you get the marchesini's you WILL notice a difference and especially when you start tilt'n ityou will see a big difference! either way chrome wheels are for bling only,but racing wheels(cnc alumimium) look custom, lighter and stiffer! you will not regret the purchase,especially if you like the twisties!! the two bikes ive swapped wheels on said definately all around beter handling. it all comes down to power to weight and these take off at least 6 lbs (maybe more, check wheel spec's),my next move is racing rims!let usknow what you do.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:24 AM

oh yea, time travel didnt occur until 88 mph! haha

Old 03-18-2008, 08:22 AM

Lighter wheels cause less rotational resistance. Basically what you are doing is freeing up your drivetrain so that you will get more of the engine power to the ground. It will take less torque to make the bike move, thus allowing it to accelerate and decelerate faster. Its the same reason that putting lighter sprocket nuts, and going down to a lightweight 520 chain conversion kit really do make a difference. "Lessening your unsprung weight". The downside is that you will lose some stability, but have a greater flop. Your bikes wheels act like little gyroscopes once they reach an rpm where centrifugal force exceeds their weight. Circular objects "Precessess" when rotation. In context, "a spinning wheel does not fall, it precessess. That is, its axis rotates in a horizontal plane." On your bike, the axis is your axle, thus your spinning wheels hold your bike erect. I think that if you are a good rider and can afford it, then do it. If you are not, then I wouldn't recommend it, as it makes for a more difficult, but more agile ride. That and if your going to spend the money to go to march aluminum's, you might as well lay out a few extra bucks and get the magnesiums.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:09 AM

Thanks for all the valuable feedback. Anyone have the silver ones? I seem to only see pics of the black ones.

Be vertical, can you expand a little on the "more difficult, but more agile ride"? I love to consider any negatives as well which is always helpful. I don't consider myself a bad rider by any means although I would never consider myself an expert either. I've logged about 22,000 miles and have done a few track days which is out of this world addicting. Would be mostly for street and the bling factor, although benefits at the track would be awesome when I do go.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:32 AM

I do not have lightened wheels, so I cannot explain to you from experience what will happen. What I can do is explain the physics of it, and how it will effect your ride.

Take note of the following:

Name:  IMG_0248.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  66.0 KB

What this is explaining is the following, which is applicable to your question in regards to the bike being a more difficult ride. The note shows that a spinning object (your wheels) exerts equal outward force. This is what keeps your bike upright and stable. The faster your go, the more stabilizing gyroscopic force will be exerted on to your bike from your wheels. This principal is based on weight. The more spinning weight = more exerted force = more gravity holding your bike vertical. If you take away from that weight, by putting on lighter wheels, there will be less gravity holding your bike vertical. Thus, it will be easier to get from side to side (quicker flop), however it will take away from the bikes own balance. It will not maintain itself as much on the highways, and be more sensitive to rider input. You will have to be more cautious of your minor inputs, as a slight jerk of a leg or whatever will have a greater effect.

The added performance is this: Less unsprung weight, as your acceleration and deceleration will be much improved, which is always a plus. The second is the maneuverability, you will have an easier flop, so you will be able to flick the bike around much easier then before. As previously stated, if you are a good rider, and can afford it, then do it. I would recommend talking to Red600rr, he has marchesanis on his 07. He would be able to give you a little more experience feedback.