Making both lights work on low?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making both lights work on low?

Call it my luck, but no less than 3 poeple have pulled along side me in their cars and said...

"Hey, you know one of your headlights is out."...

I then have to flip my visor up and say.."No, that's the design...low beam needs just one light , both come on for high beam mode."

They have been nice about it, one girl was even fine as all get out...should have asked her if she could pull over and show me what she means...she was flirting anyway.

Anyhoo...the other two people, were not fine, and were guys.

I want to just light the damn lights, I rarely ride at night, but when I do I rarely need ahigh beam anyway, and you can always just slow down.

I guess I could move the high beam headlight down so as not to blind people, but that will then look crooked.

Any wiring tricks out there?

I don't want to wire it to the middle small running light, as that would make it look broken.

Any ideas or experience out there?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Default RE: Making both lights work on low?

Yeah you can rewire your headlight relay so that on low beam both lights are out and on high they are both on. Thats how I have mine and you just cut one of the hot leads to your low beam and wire it into the high beam lead that is plugged into your head light relay. Very simple and looks great during the day. No one headlight crap....

Old 12-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do wiring tricks, because no matter what you do, the high beams reflector is designed to be bright as hell. So even if you wire it with a resistor, it will look like your high beam is failing, and it just looks retarded. If you must have both lights on, just aim the high beam down, WAY down and ride around like that. (I did this for a while too, and never had anyone flash me) I also carried (and still do) a small philips screwdriver under the seat to adjust-on-the-fly if I need to.

You could also add a few white LED running lights inside the high beam headlamp housing when the high beam is not on. This way, you'll retain full functionality, but your high beam housing would glow. Problem is, LED's are about the same color temperature as HID's. So unless you equipped your headlamps with HID's, it would look kind of odd.

But please, whatever you do, don't do that resistor wiring bulls**t. I hear of people doing it all the time, and some end up frying their harnesses/relays.

But, since you rarely ride at night, I would just leave them alone. Ride around during the day with your high beam on, and at night, just use the low. When I first got my bike, I had people saying "your headlight is out" all the time, but now, I hardly ever hear it anymore.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:00 AM

I always run the high beam during the daytime, and I have never had any issues. I also installed a Diamond-Star headlight modulator so that the high beam flickers during the day. Maybethat alone bothers people, but if they are bothered, then I am guessing they see me.I am concerned with people seeing me so that I can be around tomorrow to ride the bike.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:15 PM

+1 Tacoma...ii as well am concerned with ppl seeing me! hence white bike(besides the fact its a sick *** color and that its also my bitch), with soon to be white with accompanying silver and/or black colored leather jacket! As well as HID's...and if those HID are bothering ppl....THEY SEE ME!

VELOCITY...as far as replying to post, ii wudnt know anything to help assist in the answering of your question...ii am still a noob...

Old 12-22-2007, 02:37 PM

Good replies all around.

Depending on what happens to my commute bike, (F2) on Monday, I think I'll just leave as is.

Anyway, this spring I am either taking out, or covering the front lights, taking off all street legal crap, and using this bike as intended.

A trailored track bike.

No lights, turn signals, brake lights, mirrors, nothing that doesn't do anything fast, fun, or look goood doing it.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:21 PM

hey bmg, i use to get that alot too whenever i passed through security gates, but not anymore. it annoyed me at first, but i don't pay any attention to it anymore...

Old 12-22-2007, 09:01 PM

idk how nice or noobish this is but i just generally run the high on all the time day and night i really dont care if it bothers ppl or not tbh atleast im seen and i have yet to b high beamed by any passing traffic, the u have a headlight out bs got old real quick especially when ppl were referrin to how the gixxers didnt burn out that fast.......

Old 12-22-2007, 09:10 PM

I've been flashed, politely told 3 times by passing or as we slow or stop for a light, that I have "light out".

In the day time, I do run both.

Occasionally I ride at night, and have had a coupla' cars seem to misjudge my speed, distance, etc, with one light on.

I'll just deal with it...like ignore it.

But really...how and why did they go this?

To save a fugging bulb filament?!!

I've had dozens of bikes, some for years, and nothing ever burned out in the first place.

I would rather not deal with the hassle of being polite to non riding n00bs, who think that if their 1992 Impala has two lights, then everything must have two lights.

I'll just ignore them.

Look at them like I don't speak english or something.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:23 PM

lol im gonna have to agree w/ ya one the filament comment...altho GM saved millions w/ their 2-1-2 exhaust to save puttin 2 cats on their camaros...this bulb thing just baffles me...i have a 92 ninja and amazingly it has 1 headlight and it switches from low to high ...why couldnt the cbr's get double lows and double highs...that would rock

but at the same point u have ppl tellin u that u got a headlight out...atleast they see you

92 impalas...why u gotta go there? [:-]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Making both lights work on low?