List of questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List of questions

Well, as the topic says, I have a list of questions. I've been reading through so many different forums and websites, that I figured maybe I can just ask my fellow Honda riders for help. Feel free to throw your .02 in as you see necessary. Btw, I just purchased an 03 600rr, and while it's my third bike, it's 10 years newer then my last one, so these new features are all new to me...

1. How do I reset the time/trip gauge? I checked the manual, and it says to hold those two buttons in, however, this gets me no where, any suggestions?
2. I just took some slack out of the rear chain, still left a good amount in there, but it was way to loose before. Now the bike makes a slight friction sound during every rotation (its faint, can't be felt, but when i'm rolling in neutral or the clutch is in i can hear it). P.s. i just oiled the chain, and that didn't solve it.
3. Two of the plastic tabs that connect the right fairing to the bike are broke, the plastic is still on there fine, but I want to secure it. Can i just use an ABS glue?
4. The rear tire wil need to be replaced soon, I'm assuming wheelies eat the tire up rather quickly, because i never had to replace the tires on either of my last two bikes (even after 5k miles) The tire has enough tread to last me the summer, i think, however since i only put 250 miles on it so far, i can't tell how fast the tires will wear. When can I know that it must be replaced?
5. I want to clean up the plastic, its not really scratched, just a little dull. I know it will come up really nice, just not sure what type of cleaner to use.
6. The suspension is super stiff, whenever I'm going 25-30 miles an hour, it just feels really bumpy, how much can i adjust it without hurting myself in the turns.
7. Steering dampers, who uses them, and how much will it help me. Like i said, not a beginner, but want to really be able to work this bike to its full potential.
8. Front headlight (why is there that little headlight by the windscreen (just curious)?
9. Front break squels (is that how you spell it) a little bit, what can i do to help that?
10. Lastly, do you guys lock your helmets to the passenger pegs with a combination lock (or something similar) or is that not a good idea.

Thankyou for any input. I find myself spending way too much time looking through the forums for answers for these (instead of preparing for finals), so you are really helping me out.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Default RE: List of questions

10 mine had a cable under the rear cowl for locking up the helmet, but I would hat to sratch the bike so I don't use it.

7 unless you drive really agressive or spend a lot of time at the track, you don't really need one. especially if you get your suspension set up for you.

6 have some shop set your suspension up for you to your weight. if you're in the San Diego area, I believe buymoto.com will do it for $30 by appointment only. take your tires off your bike and $15 for tire swap and balance. Great place!

5 Honda Wax or Plexus. I use Plexus.

4 I'm assuming that the tires that are used on today's sportbikes are of a softer compound and may not last as long as tires used 10 years ago. but what do I know?

2 I don't have MOM in front of me but I believe your slack should be 1-1 3/8". Sounds like your chain is to tight.

Good luck and Welcome to the site!

Old 04-23-2006, 11:56 PM

1. hold the 2 buttons down together for at least 3 seconds to set the time

Old 04-23-2006, 11:57 PM

btw... welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike!

Old 04-24-2006, 12:18 AM

(runs outside to garage to set time)

Old 04-24-2006, 01:22 AM

1. Chain is too tight, it tightens up when you are on the bike. that friction means its too tight. losen it up just a hair.

2.If the buttons arn't working then pull of the rubber peice and use a small insterment to push the buttons on the inside mine are not woking so I have to do this.

3. Not sure what your asking

4.Tires have a wear marker on them if the tire is down to that replace it or if the are to dried out, or if you just want a quality tire.

5. I used mcguires from the auto store it has 3-15 stages I use 1,2,and the carnuba wax, brings the bike up to show quality, and I even used 1000, sand paper to color sand (very little the clear caot is very thin)then used mcguires it was made for that. ask me if you need more info on this.

6. see sport ride magazine suspension section. on the web

7. no u don't need a damper yet.

8. don't know

9. I never leave my gear too expensive to replace.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:15 AM

Thanks mellow, i have been trying to set my clock for 2 weeks now!!

Old 04-24-2006, 02:42 AM

3. resecure the tabs to the plastic with plastic weld epoxy or some kind of plastic clue... the plastics are PP/PE plastic NOT ABS, so ABS glue will not adhere properly.
5. Clay bar/ mcguires makes a really good 5 step kit as well... did it too my brothers miata last weekend took out all of the spiderwebbing/ hairline scratches in the paint/ swirl marks. looks really good... do a google search you'll find what you need.
7. ditto on the damper... just don't go crazy with the throttle.. you can still wring the bike out but if your not going to the track you wont really need it.
8. that little light is just a marker light to "differentiate a car from a motorcycle" or whatever... I dunno it's f*ing dumb.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:47 AM

9. I wouldn't be worried about it, it happens on even the brand new 06's.
10. like mellow said the gear is too expensive to be left behind. Not only can it be stolen by slicing the straps or cable but also vandlism. There will always be some jealous ***** out there who thinks it is necessary to mess with your property.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Retired Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: NotSoMellowYellow

1. Chain is too tight, it tightens up when you are on the bike. that friction means its too tight. losen it up just a hair.

No offense mellow, but i'm pretty sure that your chain actually loosens up when you sit on it...the suspension sagging evens out the angle between sprockets.

Or am i nuts?

My chain used to make alot of noise, went away when i greased it.

-Adam

Quick Reply: List of questions