Likelihood of Getting your RR Stolen??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Likelihood of Getting your RR Stolen??

As I'm gearing up for the 600 RR purchase, I'm thinking about the stealing of the bikes. Clearly they're in high demand, and it's much easier to steal a bike than a car in some ways.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to do about an alarm, etc. My riding profile won't leave alot of opportunities for folks. It will always be garaged. Or locked in my airplane hangar. I don't have to park it in public places much as it won't be my primary transportation. I suppose it's largest exposure will be parked outside a resturant while I'm grabbing a bite to eat. MAYBE outside a hotel for the 1 or 2 times a year I'll take it on an extended overnight run up into the mountains. That is about it I can think of.

What does a good alarm system cost? How difficult to install? Is it really necessary with my utilization profile?

Thanks!!

Old 02-13-2006, 03:08 AM
Default RE: Likelihood of Getting your RR Stolen??

See alarm suggestion link, I like the internatrix system I bought, great price.

Odds yours will get stolen ask your insurance agent he might know the stats. also ask the dealer they night know. here in lawrence there were 13 stolen last year according to the insurance agent. I have only seen about 20 so that is a relativly high number cant vouch for the info though, he might have just wanted me to get full coverage. Why take a chance it was definatly worth 139.00 and If I hadn't gotten that one I would have gotten the scorpio alarm even 300.00 is better than loosing a 7 or 8 thousand dollar bike.

Besides there is no way full coverage will cover my mods, in hind site I should have gotten the alarm first, luckily I only found a coat hanger in the ignition instead of an empty parking space.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:45 AM

California is #1 on this one. It's also twice as likely as the state that comes in second.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered the top of the line Scorpio. It was $309 and included all the add on’s like back up battery and parameter alarm as well as the hi-jack feature. I only bought it because I will be a bike week for a few days and might not be able to keep in the trailer over night. IMO the money is well spent if it causes me not to worry. As far as an insurance company not covering mods, won't most just charge a little more for an insurance rider policy?

Old 02-13-2006, 12:47 PM

There's pretty much nothing that will prevent it and if an experienced crook really wants your bike, it's theirs. They more than likely pull up in a van, open the doors, the group will toss your bike in the van with the alarm chirping, close the doors, then drive off with your precious baby. They don't care about scratching, denting or breaking a few things on it because they'll part it out any way on Ebay...

I personally keep mine insured, use the steering lock and walk away...if someone wants it bad enough, take it...it's insured...

Old 02-13-2006, 04:44 PM

from what i've read, 600rr's, r1's, and busa's are the most likely to be stolen...i think it was in a sportider article...i'll see if i can find it

Old 02-13-2006, 11:25 PM

who really wants a busa anyway... sorry....

Old 02-15-2006, 05:36 AM

ORIGINAL: techdog

who really wants a busa anyway... sorry....
I do!!

But seriously your worried about your bike getting stolen? Id be more worried about my zo6 than my bike. Insurance will pay for it anyway and if you keep it locked up then it wont be that big of a deal. Id get lojack before I got an alarm, of course by the time you find out its stolen and call lojack to activate the gps, the bad guys will have already stripped the bike and destroyed the transmitter. This question is kind of pointless anyway. Are you really not going to get the bike just because its a popular theft item? All sportbikes (and harleys) are popular for theives, so any bike you get will have a high risk of being stolen. Its not like the crooks go out looking for only Honda RR's. Just pray that you are not a victim. Probably the best deterrent would be to sleep in your garage or hanger with a shotgun or similarly effective close range weapon. Maybe I am just a bad person but I have dreams about catching a crook red handed.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[/quote]

Maybe I am just a bad person but I have dreams about catching a crook red handed.
[/quote]

How does that make you a bad person? I get paid to try and catch them red handed. [8D] I currently work day light hours from from the air, but if I worked the streets at night all I would do is try to look for vans, trucks and trailers then stop the drivers ,(notice I didn't say ticket them), for simple driving infractions hoping to find that the vehicke contained a stolen bike.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:06 PM

I Ain't gona lie, if someone broke in my basement and tryed to steal my bike i would shoot them in the face w/ my 12ga. shotty. although i have two huge locks, one on front and one on back. so good luck to the theif. Click, Click, BOOOOOOOM.

Quick Reply: Likelihood of Getting your RR Stolen??