license plate location

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default license plate location

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i recently put a custom, adjustable "L" bracket on the swing arm and attached the license plate to it. with all the bouncing of the bike i had to angle the plate so it wouldn't make contact with the exhaust.

has anyone had trouble with the law for:
1. just having the license plate somewhere other than where it is supposed to be (stock fender)

2. having the license plate partly hidden because of the splash guard on the rear tire

3. having the plate angled at an angle other than 90 degrees.

thanks,
nevian

PS> what about laws regarding fender eliminators?? i have integrated LED turn signals. waiting for a cop to pull me over for not having my stock turn signals.

PSS> what about HIDs? i replaced my weak halogens with a conversion HID kit. now my lights blaze...waiting to get pulled over for that too...

what am i going to tell the cop ?

Old 08-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Default RE: license plate location

I don't think the location matters as long as you can see it with no obstruction to the plate. I have seen many bikes with the plate up and down instead of side to side. I know that a lot of people have gotten hit at night for no lighted plate. As long as it is visible day and night I think you should be fine.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Josh is right about the plate not being obstructed and that it must be lit.

In Ohio the plate must be lit and must be displayed. Nothing in the Ohio Revised Code says anything about at what angle or position but it can't be unobstructed. Turn signals must lighted amber and must be used on bikes made after 1-1-1968. As far as the position of the signals is concerned the only thing I have found is that they must be visible from the front and the rear. Keep in mind this is Ohio law and that all other state laws may be different although I've got to believe the NTSB tries to make all the states have the same basic equipment regulations otherwise auto and bike manufactures would have to make 50 different set ups.

It's been my experience that most officers won't have a clue that the way you mod your bike is the way it came from the factory. The ones who know are either into bikes and can appreciate the mod or they are really on top of their traffic law and will use the violation as probable cause to pull you over to investigate you further. Some officers do this so they can stop a rider to see if they have a valid motorcycle operators license because a lot of riders don't.

The one thing that I did that is blatantly against the law was to remove my red and amber side reflectors. When I get the time I might figure out a way to mod something a lot smaller then the ones that came stock. The code only states that there must be a red reflective device on the rear and an amber one on the front sides. It says nothing about size or material. I do remember learning that they must be seen from 500 feet though but I can not find it in writing. I believe all lighted lights must be able to be seen at 1000 feet.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Retired Administrator

Reply to Adam. Nice to meet another rider from Ohio and we have the same bike. I also hate the cheap reflectors on the sides of our bikes. I've thought about looking into finding decals that look better than the plastic reflectors to replace them. Maybe find a design or logo I like and have a shop cut it out on red and yellow 3M Scotchlite. Just a thought, how do you think that will look?

Old 08-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3M Scotchlite is what I was thinking of using too. My imagination is limited though because i was just thinking of using quarter sized circles as a replacement.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:33 AM

cops really notice that? im thinking about removing mine i didnt think that it was that bid of a deal...... makes sence i guess but whats a fine run on something like that?

Old 09-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Retired Administrator

It's not so much for the cops... state inspections can be a pain in Virginia.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:28 AM

I went 5 months no plate or blinkers and no cops even gave a **** and I am in COPTOWN, CA. I just put mine back on for piece of mind, but really no plate didn't even get me in trouble. I am pretty sure you could just double side 3m tape it to the bottom of the battery box and just hardwire a plate light above it and you would be all good.

Old 09-17-2005, 06:12 AM

well in the CA motorcycle handbook...it states the the plate must be visable and nothing obstructing it's view...never said anything about lighting it up?? it may be different were u from..better check the handbook

Old 09-17-2005, 08:57 AM

my liscence plate is angled like \. well actually maybe alittle more. but i live in MA and i got pulled over once cause the cop said it was too much of an angle. gave me a warning and ive never had trouble since. i also have red LED turn signals. i was told they have to be aproved by DOT or something like that. all i know is noone approved mine lol. all you have to do is get your bike inspected with stock gear and switch when you get home. just tell the cop "oh really sir? i did not know that..." worked for me =)

Quick Reply: license plate location