Led's draining battery, help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Led's draining battery, help

Hey guys, I just bought a LED light kit off ebay about a month ago and it has already killed my battery twice. This kit came with 6 LED light strips and a remote to change colors and to turn the lights on and off. I have not left the lights on for no more than 10 min at a time and has maybe only been used just a few times. Also the kit came with a toggle swtich but I did not install it as I thought as long as I turn the lights off with the remote it would not drain the battery but for only when the lights are on. Do I have to install the toggle???? And for the install of the lights, its all plug and play, no wires were cut. Thankfully my battery took a full charge each time from being drained. Also I found out Advanced Auto Parts can slow charge a motorcycle battery but it can take around 12-24 hours depending on how drained your battery is, just a FYI to all who did not know this that they can charge it for you. Oh and my bike that this is on is a 2006 CBR 600RR. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:38 PM

Sounds like the battery is on it's last leg. My did the same thing. I replaced the battery now I have left my lights for an 1 1/2 once and the battery was fine. You also want to mount that switch. Even thought you turn the lights off the relays inside the lil box and the transmitter is still drawing power ALL THE TIME

Old 06-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any remote device is an active device. Meaning it'll have constant draw on the battery. Has to have power to the receiver to get a signal from the remote at any time.

How big of a draw will depend on the quality of the device. For example, my old alarm would drain the battery in about 3 weeks if the bike wasn't ridden. Dunno bout my LED kit. When I stored the bike for the winter, I took the battery out of the bike.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 PM

Thanks guys. One last thing, what is the best way to install the toggle switch as I have never hooked one up to anything before? Do I splice one of the wires from the toggle into the power wire of the LED wires leading to the positve side of the battery and the other wire to the negative side of the battery or just ground it to something else under the seat? I hope that makes since, ha ha. Thanks again guys.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:59 PM

Put the switch in between the power cable coming from the led box to the battery. NEVER WIRE A SWITCH TO GROUND

Old 06-12-2010, 03:04 AM

Ok but the switich has 2 wires that are the same color, what do I do with the other wire? This toggle does not light up or anything, just a cheap toggle so both wires i guess could be used as positve or negative. I guess i can pick what ever wire to be my positve correct?????

Old 06-12-2010, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by waynecbr600rr
Ok but the switich has 2 wires that are the same color, what do I do with the other wire? This toggle does not light up or anything, just a cheap toggle so both wires i guess could be used as positve or negative. I guess i can pick what ever wire to be my positve correct?????
You want to put the switch in your LEDs red wire (power). So cut the red wire and connect the switch in the middle.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:09 PM

ok sorry to ask so many questions but I just want to make sure I get it hooked up correctly. so I put both of the wires off the toggle into the one power wire of the LED's?

Old 06-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Yeah. Cut the red wire, connect the 2 ends to the toggle switch.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Ok thanks alot guys for your help. I have learned something new. I will be trying this later today and will post a video on here of the lights later. Thanks again. Ride safe everyone.

Quick Reply: Led's draining battery, help