Last chance advice before purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Last chance advice before purchase

well, since your on a cbr forum asking what bike to buy..............i'd say you already made a decision.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:51 PM

I am pretty sure the 02 R6 still has the second gear tranny issue. If you're going for an R6 look for atleast an 2003 which has a improved tranny design.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:59 PM

My first street bike was an '04 F4i. I had only a little experience. I definately believe that if you do not RESPECT the sheer power and responsiveness of the superbike class you can really hurt yourself. If however you DO realize that sort of bike can kill you if you aren't careful and in control of your emotions and reactions you will probably be fine.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:18 PM

ORIGINAL: rjmech

My first street bike was an '04 F4i. I had only a little experience. I definately believe that if you do not RESPECT the sheer power and responsiveness of the superbike class you can really hurt yourself. If however you DO realize that sort of bike can kill you if you aren't careful and in control of your emotions and reactions you will probably be fine.
You're absolutely correct.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:54 AM

I started on dirt and went staight to my 600RR with no trouble what so ever.

As for which bike. I'll always say Honda. I have 3 of them now.

98 Prelude

04 CRF450R

06 600RR

Old 11-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CrF450r420

I started on dirt and went staight to my 600RR with no trouble what so ever.

As for which bike. I'll always say Honda. I have 3 of them now.

98 Prelude

04 CRF450R

06 600RR
when you start riding like it's to be ridden, then you'll be in trouble...muahhahaha...
dirt isn't street and street isn't dirt...

Old 11-02-2006, 10:23 PM

The only time I ever rode anything with an engine were three wheelers at my uncles family reunions and my cousins banshee for a different reunion. I rode bmx for a few years and basically never rode a dirtbike. Just because you haven't ridden a bike before doesn't necessarily mean you can't ride a street bike. My first bike was my 96 900rr with a jet kit two bros full exhaust, sprockets, ......... my point is that I rode within my means and the bike has never been down by me. The 900 had many things done with it and had more power than any 600 out so you can't say that the 900 is old as an excuse as to why I was able to keep the bike upright. The bike only does what you tell it to do. I yank the throttle the bike is going to react to me yanking on the throttle. If I entered a curve too fast and can't slow down chances are it would have happened no matter the bike I was riding. Maybe I guess I wasn't your regular newbie but having that bigger bike didn't affect me in staying safe. Not being an idiot kept me upright.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

when you start riding like it's to be ridden, then you'll be in trouble...muahhahaha...
dirt isn't street and street isn't dirt...

No it isn't, but it's all still physics.

Not to mention. Don't you think it would have help you out when you started to already have advance ability to operate the controls on the bike? Most people without the experience could have a hard time with the clutch, brakes, throttle, and/or how to work the gears.

I took my endorsement after 5 days of riding my 600RR. I didn't get one point on the test. I found that slow corners like the little slalom they make you do in the test are just like a flat corner in the dirt. You lean the bike over and you stay upright. I also found that taking fast corners to be like taking a turn with a big rutt or berm. You prep differently, but you still prep and you lean over with the bike in the corner.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:40 PM

all brand loyalty aside, it isn't the bike that kills kids--its the rider. if you are COMPLETELY MATURE and recognize and can respect the amount of power inherent in whatever you are riding--then with the proper instruction (MUST TAKE THE MSF COURSE!!!) there is NO subsitute for good instruction no matter how many "friends bikes" or dirt riding experience you have. all that aside, maturity is where things belong, if you are mature enough to respect the power and control yourself you could very well start with a 1000cc do i reccomend it for a first time rider? HELL NO! personally i think its a horrible idea, but im saying that its not the size of the bike nor the type of bike, but the rider that is more important than anything else but thats just my 2 cents

Old 11-03-2006, 03:16 PM

if you are COMPLETELY MATURE and recognize and can respect the amount of power inherent in whatever you are riding--then with the proper instruction (MUST TAKE THE MSF COURSE!!!) there is NO subsitute for good instruction no matter how many "friends bikes" or dirt riding experience you have. all that aside, maturity is where things belong, if you are mature enough to respect the power and control yourself you could very well start with a 1000cc
buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. .............

Quick Reply: Last chance advice before purchase