Just wanted to say hi.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just wanted to say hi.

ORIGINAL: Lrn2Go
Good call... and I would look at frame sliders as the first mod. Nobody ever says "I wish I didn't put frame sliders on my bike".
that is number 2

Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 PM

You seem bright kid. Good looks on being by the book. I would recommend having the stealership do the first service, even though it sucks to pay for nothing. After that do it yourself, its cake. I would recommend every 1500-2000 miles or so, even though the book says 8k. I do 1500 miles and the filter every other. Works great. I would also recommend looking for a magnetic oil drain plug. Keeps all the metal wear particles from the break in stuck to the bottom of the crankcase, keeps it extra clean. Sliders should definitely be #2, go with the shogun ones, they are cheap and they do their job! Helms makes the service manual you were talking about, will run you about 80 bucks shipped, but its totally worth it.....

Welcome to the community, if you have any questions, ask, its what we are all here for!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:09 PM

Hey lrn2go, anyway you can send me the pdf format of the manual or where you got it. I bought the bike and the owner lost the manual (idiot!). I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

ORIGINAL: Lrn2Go

HA! I lied... I forgot I have the PDF of it on my laptop... it's page 210 in the owners manual... says this...

"Help assure your motorcycle's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you ride during the first 300 miles (500 km).

During this period, avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration."

That's it.

"Initial" oil change schedual (found on page 77) is at 600 miles or 1 month. "Regular" oil changes every 8000 miles or 12 months. (I, however, still change it every 3K. It costs more, but I'm not hurting anything by changing it more often)
~Both oil changes include filter changes.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:53 PM

Then manual Lrn2go has is the service manual, the one the owner lost the the owners manual. The bike does not come with the service manual, but it is the good one you need, and is an excellent reference if you want to do your own work...

You can find it here...
http://www.helminc.com/helm/result.a...J2K9489WQK5SW6
scroll down..

Old 04-08-2008, 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: be vertical

You seem bright kid. Good looks on being by the book. I would recommend having the stealership do the first service, even though it sucks to pay for nothing. After that do it yourself, its cake. I would recommend every 1500-2000 miles or so, even though the book says 8k. I do 1500 miles and the filter every other. Works great. I would also recommend looking for a magnetic oil drain plug. Keeps all the metal wear particles from the break in stuck to the bottom of the crankcase, keeps it extra clean. Sliders should definitely be #2, go with the shogun ones, they are cheap and they do their job! Helms makes the service manual you were talking about, will run you about 80 bucks shipped, but its totally worth it.....

Welcome to the community, if you have any questions, ask, its what we are all here for!!!
thanks!

and any reason why i should pay them for the first service?

just out of curiosity.

the way ive always done it is to change the oil 1 or 2 times with some regular dino oil for break in then switch to the good stuff after.

that ok with these bikes?

and i can def. second the honda manuals, the ones i have for my other bikes are bar none to the off brands

Old 04-08-2008, 04:19 PM

thanks vertical, that will help me a lot!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:49 PM

the honda manuals kick ***, you wont regret it

Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM

Don't trust anyone to work on your bike, even the dealership. I've been totally screwed by some so called machanics at local reputable dealerships. If your capable, get the service manual like you said and do your own work, all of it.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:03 PM

Welcome....

1) You MUST have the dealership, any honda dealership for that matter do the 600 miles service. Its really stupid, but if by chance you were to pop your motor at 1200 miles for whatever reason, and the dealer did not do the 600mi break in service, your not covered under warranty. The reason for this is that they do a compression test, etc... to ensure the engine was broken in properly. If it was not, they are supposed to take it in and either give you a new bike or fix whatever issue the bike had during break in. Its the most waisted 300 bucks you will spend, but for the love of god do it. That and make many photocopies of the receipt, because dealerships do not keep good book-keeping, and will ask you to produce that receipt in the event of a mechanical mishap! To be totally honest after they did my 600mi service I spent most of the next day wiping all the excess grease off my bike, and I changed the oil again myself, Just to make sure it was done, dont trust these people, they are crooks and should be approached with the highest of wit and self security.

2) Honestly I would just change it at the 600mi via the dealer, and then change it again shorty there after with JASO MA rated full or semi synthetic oil. It doesn't really make sence to use cheap oil, cause the bike only takes three quarts and a little extra. I just picked up the mobil1 full synthetic for like eight bucks a quart. The engines are built to such high performance standards that it wouldn't be worth saving six dollar or whatever on the oil. Street bikes are different, they have wet clutches, and the engine oil is the same as the transmission oil, its a recirculating system. It is important to use the proper oil, and get the good stuff, as it has a lot to do with the way your clutch grabs and whatnot. Again JASO MA Rated 4T Motorcycle Oil

Old 04-08-2008, 09:32 PM

yeah one of my dirt machines if a wet clutch. so i know all about not using the "energy saving" oil.

i guess ill have to take it in for the first service..
even though i dont want to.
but i didnt get the extended warrenty so if something does go wrong, i want it to do so now..

so its about $300?

Quick Reply: Just wanted to say hi.