insurance screwup

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insurance screwup

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I think this is my first post, though I've been reading the boards for a few months and learning.

Right before I got my bike (03 600RR), I shopped a little around for insurance, and found that State Farm gave me the best quote: $450 for everything per year, while others were asking at least $800. So I go ahead and I buy the insurance first, then the bike. The insurance agent gave me a binder, temp card and everything, and I paid up completely. Now, about a week later, I get a call saying that they will cancel my insurance effective in a couple of weeks, because State Farm told them that because I have a speeding ticket (which I had told them about) they can't insure me unless I have my car insured with them as well.

This is a big screw-up on their part, because I got the bike to a large extent because I could get cheap insurance. Maybe I would have gotten something different if I had known. Are they in any way bound to the insurance they sold me, or is there anything I can do?

If not, what companies do people get good quotes from in NJ?

Thanks a lot for the help guys,
Philip

Old 01-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Default RE: insurance screwup

Unfortunately State Farm is the CHEAPEST I have ever seen. If you add your car, would it lower that premium too?

Old 01-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't want to open a can of worms here but I would try to challenge them on that one. What difference does it make, as far as their risk is concerned, if your car it insured with them too? The only difference is for them to make more money. They gave you a quote and that is what it is a QUOTE. They gave you that quote knowing full and well your care was not insured through them. Try calling a consumer protection agency, your state should have one, and ask them what they think. Then again you might be able to get a multi-vehicle discount and have a cheaper policy in the long run compared to the two different payments combined.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:08 PM

Same thing happend to me except I had to insure all my vechiles and the house. Good old State Farm. I think they just say it to get more money.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:47 AM

Thanks for the answers guys. Unfortunately, the car insurance they are offering is way more expensive than the one I currently have. I'd rather get a separate much more expensive motorcycle insurance.

Frankly, I don't care that they want to make more money, who wouldn't? What bothers me is that they didn't just give me a quote, they actually sold me the insurance, I paid for it in full, and now they're going back on it. And as I said, what bothers me the most is that I made a $6000 purchase based on the fact that they gave me that price. In fact, I bought the insurance first, to make sure they wouldn't go back on a simple quote, and then bought the motorcycle, so I don't see what else I could have done to prevent this from happening. I guess it would be worth it to call a consumer protection agency, and I'd like to get a lawyer's opinion, though I don't want to spend any/much money on it, as even if they are obliged to keep the contract, it would only be for a year, so only for $400.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:49 AM

A friend of mine was in a similar situation. Ultimately he found out that the agency covering his bike could give him a cheaper rate on his car and house too, so he switched all of them.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:18 AM

When i first got quotes for my bike the best i could find was $1,183/yr on LIABILITY......i talked to my current insurance after being reffered from the dealership to do so....as a long shot. They gave me FULL COVERAGE at $372 a YEAR....I'm 18yrs old on a 2005 CBR600RR. Those numbers for the circumstance are UNHEARD of.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HighRevver

When i first got quotes for my bike the best i could find was $1,183/yr on LIABILITY......i talked to my current insurance after being reffered from the dealership to do so....as a long shot. They gave me FULL COVERAGE at $372 a YEAR....I'm 18yrs old on a 2005 CBR600RR. Those numbers for the circumstance are UNHEARD of.
Damn! That is about $50 a year cheaper then what I pay and I'm 37, married with zero points.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:30 AM

yea when he quoted me that my jaw hit the floor!

Old 01-26-2006, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: cjbettis

Unfortunately State Farm is the CHEAPEST I have ever seen. If you add your car, would it lower that premium too?

I have state farm, they were Way cheaper than anything else.

Quick Reply: insurance screwup