Im a beginner and I have a question!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im a beginner and I have a question!

Hello everyone.. I just signed up to this fourm because it seems like a great place to get alot of information about CBR's. Im 21 and going to buy a 06' CBR600RR this summer. Since I am 6'5 and 225lbs I was wondering will I have any advantage or disadvantage to riding. This is my first bike and I am a little afarid that I will be too tall so I hope you guys can give me some input.. Cheers !

Old 03-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Im a beginner and I have a question!

What kind of riding experience do you have?

Old 03-21-2007, 12:42 PM

I don't have much riding experience. Can you tell me what I should expect as to being a bigger guy? is it more or less comfortable? etc...

Old 03-21-2007, 01:14 PM

Im not gonna lie to ya....its gonna be a tad uncomfortable at first being that your 6'5...but in time youll fit in just fine...

Old 03-21-2007, 01:16 PM

You might not want the cbr 600, i have a friend that is 6.0 and his knees hit the fairings. very uncomfortable ride for him. make sure you check that out

Old 03-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you're set on getting a 600RR as a first bike. I won't get into that decision, although I'm sure you will hear some opinions on your choice of bike.

I'm 5-11 and 190 lbs
The RR seat can be uncomfortable. It took me a couple weeks to get where I can ride all day and not complain abouthow hard theseat is. Other than that, I don't think you'll have an issue with the bike. Have you gone to a dealership and sat on the bike yet? If not, go sit on one for 15 minutes or so - get your hands and feet on the controls and see how you like it after a while.

My wife just traded her 04 F4i in on an 05 600RR. She likes the ergos much better on the RR and loves the looks of the bike.

Make sure you take the MSF course.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:33 PM

As Fishnride said..take the MSF course. However, I would strongly suggest not mentioning to the instructors that you have an RR as your first bike. A guy in my MSF group mentioned he had an R1 and it seemed to everyone afterwards that they seemed to laser in on every mistake he made and failed him. I'm no instructor but that guy could ride and had no attitude that would justify them acting like that. Actually, I think the instructor was just a pissed off guy because he rides a Buell Firebolt..

Old 03-21-2007, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the input. I plan on taking the MSF course before I get my bike, I believe they give you a bike through the course. Actually, I was thinking about getting the 1000 RR but after reading a few posts on some Forums i have changed my mind. I do realize they can be a Casket on wheels, and I grant you that I will not be testing the bike. I will mostly be using it on a few sunny sundays. Thanks for the advice.. Great site! Cheers.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:08 PM

I'm about 6'3 and I have no problem.
+1 of MSF and take it easy find a group that will take it easy. you need to learn about how life is while on a bike in traffic. even after you take the course take time to go to an empty parking lot and do some maneuvers to get to know the bike.......I.E. circles, figure 8's, emergency stops so on. and do this when ever you get a new bike. some will think I am extreme in this but all bikes ride a bit different from others and it helps when you need it.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:55 PM

im 6'2 so i feel your pain. The hardest part of being on a 600rr for ya is when you eventually start tucking in. I had a DB windscreen and i cant count how many times i knocked my damn helmet off the top. Switched to sportech so hopefully that solves that. lower screen.

Quick Reply: Im a beginner and I have a question!