I need a BikE! CBR600RR

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007 | 12:06 AM
Default RE: I need a BikE! CBR600RR

Why not get yourself an F4i? After all, the F4i was THE Honda sportbike until the RR's hit the market. My wife ridesan 04 F4i and in regular street riding she has no trouble staying with my 05 600RR.

Just something to consider.

Oh, as far as gear goes - plan on spending $600-1,000 on good gear. This means a helmet, leather jacket, and gloves at the bare minimum. I would recommend adding boots and riding pants with armor to the list though. If you think my estimates are out of line, let's add up what I wear when I ride, and it's nothing super high end. Joe Rocket Speedmaster Jacket, 300; Joe Rocket Blaster pants, 200; A* SMX 3 boots, 160; HJC AC-12 helmet, 200; Marsee Racing gloves, 100. Total is $960. Prices will vary but you get the idea.

Old 02-09-2007 | 12:18 AM

Ok, I have had it. The geometry ispretty muchthe same no matter how much power one might have. If you take it easy at first on a 600, you will be fine.There were about 6 of us that got bikes at exactly the same time(every one being new to the sport, granted most of us have grown up around fast cars). The one guy that thought he wasnt ready for afast bike, got a ninja 650, he now hates it(also the only one who has dropped/wrecked theirs). The only advantage he says is comfort in riding, and if comfort is what you are looking for get a cruiser. Just dont get an obnoxious exhaust and ride like a dumbass around town to draw too much attention.

Old 02-09-2007 | 01:19 AM

You're STILL wrong!

The geometry between a standard Sport Bike (Like the EX500) as WAAAAAAAY different! Look at the Head Angle, the rake, the trail, wheel base, Swingarm, ground clearance! ALL WAY DIFFERENT! The BENIFIT of going with a Standard Sport is that all of the things that matter are toned down for someone who isn't used to that type of riding! You don't want to make a mistake on the 600RR, you really really dont. It's horribly unforgiving. better than most others in the same class, but still bad. the same mistake made on a EX500 could make you learn something instead of making you crash. There are things you learn on a standard sport that better prepares you for a supersport motorcycle than just hoping on one and getting the ol slap on the *** for good luck and go.

I don't know how you could be unhappy with a standard sport, especially a EX500. i would have kept my 500 for a couple of years had i not gone into the dealership and saw the 600RR. You should ask your friend WHY he doesn't like it, or if he's told you, you should elaborate.

personally, i don't believe you know what you're talking about at all.

Old 02-09-2007 | 01:28 AM

The worst mistake you can make is by chosing the wrong bike to start off with. Just think about what you'll feel most comfortable with. Not what you'll feel coolest on. Me personally, I will advise people to start off small unless your the size of Shaq. You're going to get what you want but you're on here asking for advice. Start smart.

Old 02-09-2007 | 01:31 AM

wow i really like this topic....Get all kinds of input! i Started on a 98' suzuki intruder. That was my first bike. Enough power for and expierienced rider and light and good riding for me starting out. I got that bike when i was 16 and kept that one until i turned 21 and bought my first cbr. Wow what a change I dont care if you have rode before getting on a sportbike after riding that cruiser is two diffrent worlds! You just have to take it slow! Dont try wheelies and stoppies and drive 135 through town. Be patcient get used to it. And good choice with the Honda! Great bikes!

Old 02-09-2007 | 01:50 AM

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

Since im a poor college student, what are all of your suggestions on here to get a good bike for a steal?
Poor college students should worry more about their student loans than Sport bikes... Just my opinion. anyway...

a 600RR is not what i'd call a starter's sport bike. Far from it. It's a finely tuned razor blade with more acceleration than some Surface-to-Air Missiles. no ****, 0-60 < 2 seconds. It's fast. REALLY FAST, and REALLY responsive. 105HP on tap, on (only) two wheels and a steering geometry that can reward you, or toss you like a rag doll. You have to know how to give it what it wants though... something a new rider lacks.

no sir, this bike is NOT a beginner's sport bike. Some will tell you that they started on it and were fine. They're the lucky ones. others become statistics. But let me tell you what IS a good choice for a budding SPORTBIKE rider.

Since you've got a ATV, you must know how the clutch works in relation to throttle input. don't forget it. a twist is a little more complicated for a beginner than a thumb throttle, but you'll learn quick enough. If you want to ride Sportbikes, REALLY FAST sport bikes and WELL, i highly Highly HIGHLY suggest starting on a EX250, EX500, GS500, EX650, or SV650. They are fast enough to blow the doors off most sports cars at the line, and more than capable of giving you multi hundred dollar tickets. They will teach you the basic fundamentals of SPORTBIKE riding. Don't confuse SPORTBIKE riding with MOTORCYCLE riding. the two ARE fundamentally the same, however mechanically they are worlds different. With a Cruiser, you ride, you float, you prowl. On a sport bike, you cut, slice, thrust, and carve. the forks are brought closer to the bike giving it much quicker steering with very little input, the swingarm is shortened to allow faster turning, the seating position is more aggressive to better centralize mass and corner body weight distribution... the engine is tuned to be devastating at high RPMs...

Get yourself into a MSF Basic Riders Course (http://www.MSF.com/), get your Motorcycle endorsement, and ride before you buy. i cannot possibly stress that enough. RIDE BEFORE YOU BUY!!! You should be able to have any of the above in stock form for less than $4,000 used. much better than 6-7000 for a CBR600RR... for sure. Buy gear before you start though. many states have helmet laws, and it's far better to grade leather than your own skin on the pavement, so buy a good jacket with joint protection. Back protector as well. and dont skimp cheap on the helmet either. you brain is the only thing keeping you from vegetation. protect it. HJC makes fine helmets, and you can find Carbon Fiber lids for $300.

Motorcycling isn't cheap. realize that NOW. **** breaks, fairings snap, gravel sux. being in school, i'd hope you'd put your studies and your paychecks tword something more productive to your future... than a motorcycle.
Couldn't have put it any better....precise and to the point...+1

Old 02-09-2007 | 01:56 AM

If you must go with a 600, I would pick the F4i over the RR. Knightslugger always has great points on this. Fretless, Tahoe, and Knight will probably be a few of the best to get the actual information and know-how about them. Like stated before, you do have the fundamentals down for the most part so that shouldnt be a great issue. The biggest part will be the throttle response the balancing coordination issue from what your used to. as far as $5k for an 05, dont see that happening anytime soon unless something is work with it. Expect to pay the for a 04 or a nice 03 RR. But like said a few times, its better to buy something smaller and learn the proper way. You can always upgrade, and if you are paying cash for it, it will be a lot easier to upgrade to something after you get everything down. Just my opinion

Old 02-09-2007 | 01:58 AM

ORIGINAL: arkansashog

Ok, I have had it. The geometry ispretty muchthe same no matter how much power one might have. If you take it easy at first on a 600, you will be fine.There were about 6 of us that got bikes at exactly the same time(every one being new to the sport, granted most of us have grown up around fast cars). The one guy that thought he wasnt ready for afast bike, got a ninja 650, he now hates it(also the only one who has dropped/wrecked theirs). The only advantage he says is comfort in riding, and if comfort is what you are looking for get a cruiser. Just dont get an obnoxious exhaust and ride like a dumbass around town to draw too much attention.
Your still alive? Man I thought you would have squided yourself into road patty by now...

Old 02-09-2007 | 02:01 AM

ORIGINAL: NOchknstrips

ORIGINAL: arkansashog

Ok, I have had it. The geometry is pretty much the same no matter how much power one might have. If you take it easy at first on a 600, you will be fine. There were about 6 of us that got bikes at exactly the same time(every one being new to the sport, granted most of us have grown up around fast cars). The one guy that thought he wasnt ready for a fast bike, got a ninja 650, he now hates it(also the only one who has dropped/wrecked theirs). The only advantage he says is comfort in riding, and if comfort is what you are looking for get a cruiser. Just dont get an obnoxious exhaust and ride like a dumbass around town to draw too much attention.
Your still alive? Man I thought you would have squided yourself into road patty by now...
BTW did you ever get the 1k?

Old 02-09-2007 | 04:12 AM

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

You're STILL wrong!

The geometry between a standard Sport Bike (Like the EX500) as WAAAAAAAY different! Look at the Head Angle, the rake, the trail, wheel base, Swingarm, ground clearance! ALL WAY DIFFERENT! The BENIFIT of going with a Standard Sport is that all of the things that matter are toned down for someone who isn't used to that type of riding! You don't want to make a mistake on the 600RR, you really really dont. It's horribly unforgiving. better than most others in the same class, but still bad. the same mistake made on a EX500 could make you learn something instead of making you crash. There are things you learn on a standard sport that better prepares you for a supersport motorcycle than just hoping on one and getting the ol slap on the *** for good luck and go.

I don't know how you could be unhappy with a standard sport, especially a EX500. i would have kept my 500 for a couple of years had i not gone into the dealership and saw the 600RR. You should ask your friend WHY he doesn't like it, or if he's told you, you should elaborate.

personally, i don't believe you know what you're talking about at all.

Last time I checked, there are only 4 axis in geometry.If i have to say it again, YOU DONT GO FULL THROTLE THE FIRST TIME YOU RIDE/DRIVE ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You start out slow and then PROGRESSIVELY go faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have no idea what you are talking about jackass!!!!!!!! Why scare someone out of a 600rr, WHEN YOU ARE ON A 600RR SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU SIR HAVE NOT IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!11

Quick Reply: I need a BikE! CBR600RR