I have a $9K paperweight in garage. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I have a $9K paperweight in garage. Help!

My 600RR did something like that a month ago. It was running fine, the next morning I went to start it an nothing. It just cranked and cranked.....nothing. I was pissed. Only 2500 miles on the bike, brand new, 2 months old, wouldn't start. I went back out, cranked some more, and gave it some throttle and it slowly started to sputter, then finally started idling a little rough. I turned it back off, then cranked again. Perfect. It's been fine ever since. I told the dealer about it, but they couldn't find anything wrong.

One thing is my starter somtimes squeals a bit after it already started, which may be a defective starter, or may simply be going out slowly. Funny, but it doesn't ever do it when I try to show the dealer.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recharge your battery and try that
It might be bad gas

Old 09-14-2006, 08:49 AM

Why is it that the absolute most obvious and easy way to check if it's the battery or not is never mentioned lol?

TUrn the key on and check your LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! are they dim? are they even on? kick the bright on is it dim?

Check your fuses did one possibly go out or short maybe he turned the key on and off repeatedly and didn't tell you causing a fuse to poop out. If it's an 05 or 06 your fuse box is on the left of the bike behind the left mid cowl(if memory serves me correct) it has a back of in there for both types of fuses pull them out and check them if they have fried or not!!

Old 09-14-2006, 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: HighRevver

Why is it that the absolute most obvious and easy way to check if it's the battery or not is never mentioned lol?

TUrn the key on and check your LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! are they dim? are they even on? kick the bright on is it dim?

Check your fuses did one possibly go out or short maybe he turned the key on and off repeatedly and didn't tell you causing a fuse to poop out. If it's an 05 or 06 your fuse box is on the left of the bike behind the left mid cowl(if memory serves me correct) it has a back of in there for both types of fuses pull them out and check them if they have fried or not!!
No, I don't think the battery had anything to do with it. When I first turned it on the electrics popped right up, nice and bright, and I got a good number of attempts at turning it over before it started to drain on me.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:50 PM

why not just put it in gear and then push start the dam thing no need to waist ur money on a tow..

Old 09-14-2006, 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: CBR76

ORIGINAL: HighRevver

No, I don't think the battery had anything to do with it. When I first turned it on the electrics popped right up, nice and bright, and I got a good number of attempts at turning it over before it started to drain on me.
so did mine but was still the battery

Old 09-15-2006, 07:42 PM

ORIGINAL: jasonb

why not just put it in gear and then push start the dam thing no need to waist ur money on a tow..
Well, a while back with my first bike I had a bad experience breaking down on the Interstate. Because of that, and not knowing exactly in wrong with it I don't want to take a chance of having a repeat. Plus, the dealership came and picked it up at my house at no charge.