I have a $9K paperweight in garage. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a $9K paperweight in garage. Help!

Long story short..Went to visit family in Florida for a week. Flew back yesterday with taking a ride the first thing on my to-do list. Flip the key, press the starter button --> nothing. The starter was running but it wouldnt turn over. Check everything over, try again, and still nothing.

I call my roommate and ask him in the calmest voice possible, "Hey man, did you by any chance happen to start my bike while I was gone or move it?" "Yeah, I moved it once but that was it"

Try again and again. Now my battery is starting to go.

Call from roommate: "Hey, I'm sorry I didn't say something earlier but I did start it up once to move it. I revved it a couple of times and turned it off and that might be whats wrong" My response: "Why did you need to turn it on to move it? that's what neutral is for, and yeah that's probably it." Because he wasn't up front with me now its probably going to cost me more time and money to fix whatever is wrong. Yeah, he's going to pay for it but now I'm the one that's got to find a hitched trucked and trailer to bring it to the service dept.

Can someone tell me what they think what might be wrong? I remember reading somewhere that it hurts the bike to turn it on then off without riding it, but how exactly? My bike just went in for its 4k mile service a few weeks ago, switched to synthetic, and the oil level is still topped off. There's half a tank of gas, and I can't think of anything else to add.

Any advice or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I've counted to ten about a million times and even tried meditating to keep from exploding because I'm so @#$@# angry. I just paid it off last week and like the post title says, I've now got a $9000 paperweight in my garage. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Default RE: I have a $9K paperweight in garage. Help!

This sounds a lot like what happenned to my bike last year. See i went home for christmas break and my bike sat for a good month without being started or moved. My starter would work but it would not turnover. By the way I have an 05. I sat there and played with the throttle and starter, almost like it was a carbureator bike. Eventually it started but it would start and then die and then start again. Now im no expert but it almost sounded like it was starving for gas so I think that an air pocket formed in the gas line somewhere from sitting. Guessing some gas evaporated and caused the block.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:36 PM

Thats what it sounds like to me but. I was just wondering if the bike would crank but not start with the starter switch off. Maybe he just kicked it off and you didnt realize it and its not turning on the fuel pump???

Old 09-12-2006, 03:04 PM

I had the same symptoms as you, only it was cause by a jack-*** plugging my muffler while it was running. It took forever to get it started and we kept turning it over till the battery finally died.... got it charged back up and a friend of mine said "you know, it really does sound like its OUT of gas." He blipped the throttle a few times after it went through the fi cycle and held it on slightly, turned it over and she fired right up. Have you tried givin it a bit of gas? We talked to a mechanic later and he said sometimes that happens with an fi bike. You get a bubble or the fuel flow is stopped abruptly it can do some wierd things.... thats all I can think of, hope it helps :S

good luck,

Chris

Old 09-12-2006, 07:29 PM

Ive run into something like this once on my friends sv650 the lights would go dim and the starter would get power but it just wouldent crank. found the clutch safety switch got knocked off when he got off the bike. plugged it back in and it was back to normal. Maybe a case of vapor lock from the gas. pulled the plugs? are they wet or smell like gas? are u getting spark?

Old 09-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Banned

My F4i has done this to me twice. A short start to rev it and then let it sit. Next day no start. It seems like it is flooded or the plugs are a little fouled. Open the throttle and then crank for five seconds...repeat until it starts..don't 'pump' the throttle'. You may need to charge the battery up once or twice. When the bike started it ran on maybe two cylinders for a few seconds with some smoke..then it ran fine.

It has never happened to me unless The bike only runs for about 5 or 10 seconds cold and then is shut off, even then it isn't a for sure bet it will screw up.

I know the RR has a more sophisticated fuel injection set-up than my bike...but maybe it is the same quirk, good luck.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:55 PM

1) leave it for a long while with out ridding it maybe the battery is dead? I had engine turing over spark plugs firing but just not hot enough for it cause fire. How old is your battery
if you know anyone who has a rr pop their bat in real fast and see how it does

2) yes starting it w/o letting it get hot enough can fould the plugs 180 degree f is what i run mine up too

3) while ur friend had no right to touch your bike dont leave the key in it .......I did once one of my buddies "took it out for a spin" while i was gone, brought it back took his out and wrecked his .......douche.......dead battery I would pay for it cause it was about to go anyway....fouled plugs let him pay the $100 for a new set of stockers from the stealership

Old 09-12-2006, 07:58 PM

when i bought my 1000RR a few months ago
the tech told me to never rev it more than a few thousand rpms while it is cold or the injectors will lock up
and have to be taken out and serviced.

almost like vapor locking a carb

Old 09-12-2006, 07:58 PM

My 05 did the same thing. Most likely your plugs are fouled from the start and then letting it sit. I did the same thing you did and tried to start it up and I started to kill the battery trying to get it started. I just had a buddy help me push it up a hill and rode it down to get a push start. At first it started to struggle to turn th engine over and then one at a time a cyclinder would come to life. Once you get it started ride it around the block a few times to get some life into the battery and to get the plugs cleaned out. A push start is a free way to see if you just have a plug issue. After that it may need a visit to the shop. Good Luck

Old 09-13-2006, 10:14 AM

Thanks everybody for your input. I'm definately feeling the injectors locked up and even if its something lesser I'm sending it to the shop. A custom tow service is supposed to be over in about 90 minutes and then I'll follow him to the Honda dealership. The only good things coming out of this is getting my money back and having some parts that I bought get installed.

The thing that gets me most is that Ive been roommates with this guy two years and we've never even had the slighest disagreement or problem. Why couldn't it be about leaving his clothes in the dryer or something stupid instead of my pride and joy?

Again, a big thank you to everyone that posted

Quick Reply: I have a $9K paperweight in garage. Help!