How come my 600rr sucks at power wheeling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005 | 04:27 AM
Default How come my 600rr sucks at power wheeling?

The previous two bikes I owned, a '98 F3 and a '90 Yamaha Radian yx600 (standard) would both shoot skyward in first gear under fool power. My 600rr, even with a hefty tug on the bars stays planted through first and only floats the front tire in second if I power shift it. I thought with more power then my F3 this thing would be a handful in first. I can bounced it up in first or clutch it up in second (though I can't even get it to the balance point, even with a 5000 rpm jump. (At 8000 to begin with). I used to balance my F3 up to around 100 no problem. So what gives? Is mine down on power or does the bike just not wheelie good (which sucks).

Old 08-04-2005 | 10:18 AM
Default RE: How come my 600rr sucks at power wheeling?

they aren't wheelie bikes but try it around 7 grand just come onto the gas in first and it will wheelie right up to the blance point I put a +3 on the back so I can do second gears starting to get thirds but they are a little harder

Old 08-04-2005 | 04:13 PM

When you say open it at 7000, do you bounce it up or just crack it open, cause I tried that last night about about 8000 rpm, just opening her wfo and pulling hard on the bars and all I got was a little floater until red line . I can bounce it up around that rpm, but it kinda makes me sad, I really thought this thing would come up on her own. On a side note, I rode a friends R6 and it points the front wheel up at WOT from about 7000 grand, and does a nice progressive wheelie right to balance point with some of first left. I was able to hit second and keep her up like it was nothing.

Old 08-04-2005 | 05:38 PM

Its because of the rear swing arm. On a track you want both wheels on the ground at all times Honda did a great job and making this posible so you can really roll the gas out of a corner. I am pretty sure that when they built the bike Wheelies where not what they intended the bike for.

Old 08-04-2005 | 05:57 PM

if you want wheelies put a 46 sprocket on the back you can keep you're stock chain and still go fast and it will wheelie way better then that ugly R6 :-)

Old 08-04-2005 | 07:14 PM

Ok... I can power wheelie my bike no problem. Yes, the bike is designed for race... but trust me, the front wheel will skyrocket if you do it right. I grab about 7-8k rpm pretty quick, sit back as far as i can in the seat, slam throttle shut, and bang it open pretty hard while pulling up. Make sure you dont lean over the handle bars. I've found it damn near impossible if you are leanin on the bars. Also,if you dont slam the throttle shut and crack it open, I like to just blip it every now and again. The front end doesnt POP up, but it continuously climbs upward throughout the whole power band. Bottom Line... if you cant get your 600RR to power wheelie... it's not the bike, it's all in the rythm. Once I felt the rhythm it was easy. You'll get it.. but still be careful.... if you pop it good enough you can definately loop a 1st gear pow pow power wheelie on this bike. Enjoy!

Old 08-04-2005 | 07:15 PM

Almost forgot... as of right now my bike is still stock gearing. Yes gearing down in the front and up in the rear makes wheelies much easier. But even a stock geared 600RR will power wheelie no problem.

Old 08-04-2005 | 10:20 PM

Im sitting at -1 +2... and power wheelies in first are kinda scary... comes up toooo fast for me... if i get on it kinda hard from 4-6 grand, then blip as explained above, it comes up way faster than if I were to clutch it... im considering learning how to clutch standing up... if heard stand ups are a lot easier to get the wheel off the ground... and rip is right... dont lean forward on it or shes gonna just sit n' spin, or take off like a drag bike. I love the top end rush on this bike :P

another reason this bike might seem harder to pow pow power wheelie is cause it makes its peak power at higher rpm's than most bikes do (I think... right guys?) anyways... just and Idea...

take it easy,

Chris

Old 08-05-2005 | 03:18 PM

also its harder to wheelie this bike cause honda shifted more weight towards the front just to prevent the front wheel from comming up. so that way it doesnt pop up as unexpectidly or quickly when you hit it.

Old 08-05-2005 | 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: alienworkshop

also its harder to wheelie this bike cause honda shifted more weight towards the front just to prevent the front wheel from comming up. so that way it doesnt pop up as unexpectidly or quickly when you hit it.
Ya i thought the RR leans forward more than most bikes, I would imagine that would make it harder.

I must be in the minority here. I will never wheelie my bike, just don't see the point. It has to be hard on the bike. Also I am an old man I guess. Being 25 and a father I guess I just try to be as safe as I can. Pulling a wheelie at 80 MPH or more just doesn't seem safe to me. Looks damn good though, but I will stick to watching them and not doing them.

Quick Reply: How come my 600rr sucks at power wheeling?