Homework help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homework help

If I'm not mistaken there has been several books for riding instruction sited in several different threads. I lost the list I had and would like to know what you've read, dosn't seem to be many people that actualy study the art of riding and I think that it is a nessecary thing to do. So if you have any books to recomend let me know. I have read several but none of them have given me much advice. If you know of any good ones let me know. I don't consider myself an advanced rider, however I am well aware of the basics and definatly moving on up into advanced. Books that put technical terms into layman terms are good but technical is ok.
The reason I don't like technical is I have a mechanic that sets my bike up and repairs it and I can just tell him what I need or feel and he does the rest. I am more interested in rideing technique such as form, posture, how to ect. not fixing and improving engine performance.
Yes, before you guys kill me with it, I know that I need some knowledge about suspension and such to be a good rider and I believe I have that taken care of. I just want to improve my riding capabilities.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Homework help

You'll learn more about riding from one trackday with a semi-pro rider than you'll learn if you read every book out there. If you want to be rich, find a rich person and do what they did ... if you want to ride better, find a better rider and do what they do.

And I'm not poo-pooing the reading or studying aspect of the sport. Just saying that I learn more from riding behind a guy that knows what he's doing and repeating it.

Most important thing I've learned (hardest part for me) is to make myself look where I'm going. Sounds easy, eh?

Old 02-17-2006, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

You'll learn more about riding from one trackday with a semi-pro rider than you'll learn if you read every book out there. If you want to be rich, find a rich person and do what they did ... if you want to ride better, find a better rider and do what they do.

And I'm not poo-pooing the reading or studying aspect of the sport. Just saying that I learn more from riding behind a guy that knows what he's doing and repeating it.

Most important thing I've learned (hardest part for me) is to make myself look where I'm going. Sounds easy, eh?
good call...ie, trying to avoid an issue in the road and when you look at it you hit it...you look where you need to go...also through a turn...

for those of us who don't have track days as an option though, I am curious to see this list also

Old 02-18-2006, 12:21 AM

"If you want to be rich, find a rich person and do what they did ... if you want to ride better, find a better rider and do what they do."

very well said chain...

Old 02-18-2006, 01:40 AM
L8X

amen

Old 02-18-2006, 02:05 PM

ORIGINAL: cbr04

"If you want to be rich, find a rich person and do what they did ... if you want to ride better, find a better rider and do what they do."

very well said chain...
so anyone here rich and want to give up some of their coin? I already know how to ride....thanks

Old 02-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: cjbettis

very well said chain...
so anyone here rich and want to give up some of their coin? I already know how to ride....thanks
Ahhh, you must do ... not beg, Asshoppa

Old 02-18-2006, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

ORIGINAL: cjbettis

very well said chain...
Ahhh, you must do ... not beg, Asshoppa
that wasn't begging...I didn't say I'd suck your d!ck for a quarter (can anyone place this quote???).....I simply asked, you miss 10 out of 10 shot you don't take

Old 02-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Retired Administrator

"If you want to be rich, find a rich person and do what they did.... or get a big club, beat the hell out of them and take their money. Now... how can I apply this to learning better riding skills....

Sorry, that's the first thing that popped into my tiny little head when I read this thread.

Twist of the wrist is recommended reading. There are two editions out and I believe the first is also available on DVD.