hit and run - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011 | 04:32 PM
|
Default hit and run - need advice

Hey guys, I'm sad to say that my barely 2 month old owned 08' CBR600RR had a hit and run last night at a local pool hall sometime between 1:00 to 3:00 am. I came outside with some pals, and realized my bike was knocked over on it's right side. There's some deep scratch marks up in the upper right fairing (just above the headlight area- near the windshield) and theres just scratches all throughout the whole right side of the bike. The rear brake pedal was bent too, and the right mirror was completely broken off. It kind of looked like someone was drunk and just reversed into it with a truck or maybe small car (there was no security cameras in the parking lot, and no witness, which makes filing this insurance claim a bit more tedious.) Anyways, as far as I could tell, there was no damage to the engine as I was able to ride the bike home. When I started the bike though, for the first 3-5 minutes it idled there was some very light white smoke coming out, but it eventually disappeared. Is this normal for a bike that gets knocked over? Cleaned it off today to asses the damage more closely. My front brakes seem to be rubbing harder and louder than usual, maybe I need to go back over it with break cleaner? Aside from that, my bike is the Digital Silver Edition, so I'm wondering what steps can be done to "buff" out the scratches on the bike?

I'm hoping my insurance (full coverage) will be able to take care of it, but in the event that for some reason they don't (which I wouldn't know why they wouldn't...) I would just like to know your opinion on a list of materials I'll need or should keep in mind if I have to do some work on this bike on my own.

Thanks alot guys, feel like **** really, that bike was and still is my baby, just hurts to look at it stuck in the garage.

**EDIT** I'll try to post pictures up later, but I figured this description is accurate enough to give you (the reader) a general idea of what the bike looks like.

Last edited by ahbrown4057; 05-22-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2011 | 07:25 PM

Can't really help with what materials you might need, but i'm sure there are lots of people around here who can (pictures i'm sure will help).

I'm sure if you file through your insurance they won't give you any problems. just have the names / numbers of your friends ready to give them as witnesses to the incident if they need them.

In the future its probably a good idea to call the police and have them file a report. It makes matters like these a little easier to deal with the next day. And ya never know - maybe the ******* who backed into your bike, hit a pole a few blocks down the road.

Old 05-21-2011 | 08:00 PM
|

Thanks for the comment, I think the insurance will be pretty easy to do with too. And I sure hope he/she/it did!

Last edited by ahbrown4057; 05-21-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2011 | 08:09 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

Light smoke is probably just some oil that seeped past the rings from laying down. Dhouldn't be a problem. Bummed to hear this happened to ya, though. Hope you get a fair shake from the insurance, good luck, Ern

Old 05-21-2011 | 09:20 PM

I have the same year bike and color as you. Check out www.discounthondaparts.com and you can order pre-painted parts to replace what is damaged. Call the number shown to get the digi silver extentions on the part numbers. I use the guys all the time for my MX bikes and they are great. Insurance should pay for the replacment parts. Turnaround on the parts should be 5-7 business days once you order them.

Check your oil level to make sure it is not low.

Good luck.

Old 05-21-2011 | 11:09 PM
|

I really appreciate the information you guys have given me so far, and thanks for the kind words and hopes. I'm fairly confident things are going to be alright, and I'm kind of looking forward to putting in some work on her, since I always cleaned it after every ride, and always maintained it as far as most maintenance goes.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what I can do to buff out the scratches that are on the right-hand side engine? There not very deep, but there still visible, and I'd like to know if theres some thing I can do to get em out of there...

Old 05-22-2011 | 03:04 PM

Depends upon how deep the scratches are. The process is to sand off the high bits and fill in the low valleys. Some wet 220-grit sandpaper on a hard rubber block is good to sand off the high peaks, don't do too much. Follow with wet 600-grit. Then fill in the scratch with touch-up paint if it's not too deep. Very deep scratches would require filling with something, Bondo or fibreglass resin.

Old 05-22-2011 | 04:57 PM
|

Thanks for that bit of information Dann. I've received multiple suggestions for places to order OEM fairings (discounthondaparts & cbrfairings) but I was wondering what the difference between ordering them from an outside source (such as the web) and just going down to the local honda dealer and ordering OEM fairings directly from them? Do they charge extremely high? Won't their fairings ultimately be the most reliable in terms of quality of longevity?

Old 05-22-2011 | 05:07 PM

OEM fairings from the factory are incredibly expensive. and True factory plastics are different than the other ones you order. Frankly I don't think the added expense is worth it, but to each their own.

I'd see what your insurance company says and see about having it redone through them, or getting an aftermarket set.

Old 05-22-2011 | 06:05 PM
|

Thanks for that piece of info Nate, I'll see what they recommend or who they would refer me to through them and determine whether or not that company seems better to go with rather than purchase fairings and doing it on my own. When you say Aftermarket set, you mean fairings like Repsol , Redbull, etc? OR does that just mean anything that is made outside of the actual Honda OEM?

Here are photos of the damage

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...cture203s.jpg/
^This is the bent brake lever
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...cture197g.jpg/
^Front Cowl & Upper fairing (Notice the two dents underneath the handlebar)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ture198bi.jpg/
^Front Birdseye angle
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...cture199y.jpg/
^Lower Side Fairing
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ture200te.jpg/
^Lower Engine
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...cture202q.jpg/
^Front cowl again different angle

Once I cleaned the biked and could asses the damage more clearly, it really looked like someone backed into the bike with perhaps a lifted truck or something of height, and pushed it some feet before taking off... :\

Last edited by ahbrown4057; 05-22-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: hit and run - need advice