Hit a deer

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit a deer

I went to see one of my ridin buddies yesterday, and when I got to his house, he came up to me with a cast on his left arm and I asked him what had happened. On halloween night he dressed up as a motogp rider, so he had on full leathers, boots, gloves, etc. after the night out, he was comin back to his house around 3 AM on a four lane traveling aprox. 55mph. He said before he realized there were roughly five deer in front of him about 20 yds away, so immediately he grabbed a handful of front brake causing the bike to endo straight over, he slammed into the deer, the bike skidded and didn't hit anything. He recently made his 05 CBR600RR a track bike and got an 03 R6 to ride on the street so the R6 got busted up pretty bad. In the msf course they teach you not to panick and slam the front break, to instead slowly increase pressure on the front brake to keep the bike from endoing. But luckily he was wearing leather so he didn't get any roadrash, just a broken wrist from hitting the deer. I live in the mountains so at night deer, possums, and raccoons are always jumpin out in front of me and I always try my best to use the information that the msf course teaches, and so far it has worked, but in his case, not seeing the deer until the last second i dont think that exercizing the rule for abrupt stopping techniques would have helped, so he doesn't get the cast off until january.... anyways always be alert and watch your surroundings

Old 11-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Default RE: Hit a deer

I live by a lot of deer and I will be the SOB who, at night, is doing at least 10 under the SL waving people around me. You can't mess with deer and you have to slow down... a lot. Just last weekend I was on the way back from a buddy's house for the UofM MichState game (night time) and I stopped to help a guy who had just hit a deer not minutes before my arrival. Luckily he was in a car and only had a crupled fender and headlight but it made me go slow. Real slow all the way home. I made it though.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:08 AM

They also teach you in the MSF course to use your rear brake along with your front.

ORIGINAL: volcomrr

I went to see one of my ridin buddies yesterday, and when I got to his house, he came up to me with a cast on his left arm and I asked him what had happened. On halloween night he dressed up as a motogp rider, so he had on full leathers, boots, gloves, etc. after the night out, he was comin back to his house around 3 AM on a four lane traveling aprox. 55mph. He said before he realized there were roughly five deer in front of him about 20 yds away, so immediately he grabbed a handful of front brake causing the bike to endo straight over, he slammed into the deer, the bike skidded and didn't hit anything. He recently made his 05 CBR600RR a track bike and got an 03 R6 to ride on the street so the R6 got busted up pretty bad. In the msf course they teach you not to panick and slam the front break, to instead slowly increase pressure on the front brake to keep the bike from endoing. But luckily he was wearing leather so he didn't get any roadrash, just a broken wrist from hitting the deer. I live in the mountains so at night deer, possums, and raccoons are always jumpin out in front of me and I always try my best to use the information that the msf course teaches, and so far it has worked, but in his case, not seeing the deer until the last second i dont think that exercizing the rule for abrupt stopping techniques would have helped, so he doesn't get the cast off until january.... anyways always be alert and watch your surroundings

Old 11-07-2007, 09:15 AM

Damn, glad to hear that he made it out alive. It's all to common to hear about bikers dying in deer related crashes. Bummer to hear that he messed up his new bike too. Hope he heals well

Old 11-07-2007, 05:46 PM

had a near miss about a month or so ago. as a deer hunter also, my advice is to be especially careful at night during the fall and winter months. hunters are in the woods, making many of them go nocturnal, and also they are acting a little crazy due to their ragin' hormones this time of year and are out at all hours. at least around here there aren't quite as many out late at night during the summer months, but always look for trouble. and use both brakes at once.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:49 PM

Long story short, I've hit 3 deer all in my car when I lived in PA. They all happened too fast to react and not hit them. And I'll say one thing, they say do this and that but when it happens you cant think about it and hitting too much brake is just a natural reaction to the situation. They say in a car dont slam on the brakes because it makes the front end dip down and will ramp the deer into the windshield.... no one ever thinks about this when you have 0.2 seconds to think about it, you just hit the brakes and try to stop as fast as you can.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:24 PM

Just a couple weeks ago, I was riding the local twisties and was in the 2mile stretch of 15 - 25mph turns fully geared out. Well I going through one of the 25 mph turns not to hard, about 35-40mph andI was just about toexit the left hand turn. I was still looking left when something outta the corner of my right eye catches my attention (Didn't really think about it tho). Right then I start to look right to prepare for the next right 25mph turn and was straightening out when I realized that it was a damn deer running right beside me. At the same time I rolled off the gas and moved my fingers to the front brakes the deer makes a 90degree turn outinfront of me!! I could count the hair on this deers chest I was so close!!

So I know how bad that probably sucked for your friend. Good thing he walked away from it.. .sorry to here about his bike. +1 on the Gear

Old 11-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, glad to hear he's ok! good thing he chose to be a motogp racer for the night . a buddy of mine hit a deer doing 60mph on his 1K RR. he was wearing a leather jacket, gloves, jeans and he went into the guardrail. w/o the jacket, he'd have numerous lacerations. you can see the marks from the guardrail left on his jacket. his left arm was in a cast, right arm in a sling, and left leg in some robocop boot thing.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:38 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deer suck. I flew right between two of them as they were leaping across the road, and I was doing about 60-70 mph. They never stopped, and never saw me, and I went right through them. Scariest s**t I've ever experienced. A split-second earlier or later and BOOM, I would have been toast.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:38 AM

A buddy hit a deer and it put him in ICU.

Heres an inspriational video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6VS6qsLJeY

Quick Reply: Hit a deer