High Side :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy High Side :(

So after being bugged almost everyday last week by a co-worker to go riding, I gave in and went riding un willingly. While making a right turn at this intersection I noticed a wrecked car and tow truck in my lane and took the turn a little wide to be safe. Unfortunately the street hasn't been swept this entire winter (I didn't know), and there was ALOT of gravel and both tires lost traction and I highsided trying to save it. Thank God I was wearing all my gear; full face helmet, jacket, gloves, riding jeans, riding boots, knee/sheen protector, and back/chest protector. I got ZERO road rash, but I fractured my elbow.

Now for the bad news... left side of bike is messed up, and I want to fix it as soon as possible (when arms useable) for cheap. It's an 08 600RR. The left foot peg's broken, left frame slider is bent (yes bent), both mirrors are gone, left turn signal's gone, little damage on engine cover, alot of left fairing damage.

There's more stuff messed up, but that's all I can remember for now. I plan on checking ebay for cheap/used parts, and other web sites, but I figured this would be the place to start. I'm open to options/ideas and sorry if my grammer's messed up, I'm typing this with one hurt hand.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it's good that you're ok-ish. pain can only be felt by the living. Sorry to hear about the bike.

Pegs, sliders, mirrors ect can be replaced pretty easily. fairings are gonna be a little tougher. Are they rashed, cracked or broken? Rashes can be fixed with glazing putty, sanding and paint. Cracks are a little tougher but also doable. Fiberglass patches + glazing putty + sanding + paint.

Broken... You might start scanning ebay. Pretty sure 600rr fairing parts are more readily availible than those for my F3. See what's salvagable and replace the pieces that can't be saved

Old 02-23-2010, 09:22 PM

Thanks man, first thing I thought of was "thank God I'm ok". Despite the pain, only thing I'm upset about is the damage to the bike.

There's a hole in the left fairing from the handle bar, and the fairing around the left headlight is broken. I'm a little worried about the frame though. I'll see what's salvageable and what's not.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:38 AM

glad to hear you're okay. if there is a Honda dealership around you, see if they can order you the OEM fairings, if you want the stock paint scheme still. The Honda dealership by me does that, so maybe they can hook you up with just the pieces you need instead of all of the plastics eh?

Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cut or no-cut sliders?

With a high you got off lucky in both depts. Thank god for gear bikes can be fix/replaced. Only so much of us can be tho lol

Old 02-25-2010, 07:39 AM

@ Jr; There's a stealership next to me that robbed me before lol, I'll ask them, see what they say

@ Playful; Cut sliders

Old 02-25-2010, 08:59 AM

good good! let me know what happens! again, glad to hear you're okay!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:25 AM

I have a question; the bar end came off when the bike hit the ground and I was wondering if I need to replace the clip on or just the bar end. I haven't really been able to look at it to see if just how messed up it is, but the hand grip is still on there tight.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by snakerb
I have a question; the bar end came off when the bike hit the ground and I was wondering if I need to replace the clip on or just the bar end. I haven't really been able to look at it to see if just how messed up it is, but the hand grip is still on there tight.
it depends how much damage was done when i ripped off. Inspect it and see...

on a side question: What kind of sliders were those that bent? and by bent, do you mean at the base or the tip?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:50 AM

I highsided myself on oct 28, 2008. My elbow basically exploded. Supracondylar Humerus fracture. 3 plates, 27 screws, 3 surgeries, one repair, two bone grafts, 336 days off work because they are a bunch of aholes and wouldn't let me come back on light duty. I hope your elbow isn't as messed up as mine. I'll never be able to straighten my arm again.

The only reason I can see to replace the clip on is if the threads are messed up or the screw broke and you can't get it out with an ez out.

Quick Reply: High Side :(