HELP I F#CKED UP

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP I F#CKED UP

OKAY, SO i am in the chicago land area and have not had a chance to winterize my bike yet (2006 cbr 600 rr). I was told by a friend to start her up once a week for about 20 min to keep her in good running condition. So today i started it up for about 20-30 min then walked into my garage to see a smoking bike and a puddle of anti-freeze the temp gauge was at 270. The engine had not siezed and was still running, so i shut it off. Does anyone have any idea what i did to my baby. please help

Old 12-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Default RE: HELP I F#CKED UP

It's probably just coolant from the overflow tank. check the hose that comes from it to see if there's any residue and you'll have your answer.

as for what you've done? Probably nothing. Although your friend is stupid. If you're going to winterize, you don't touch the bike until you're ready to put some serious miles on it. Here's what you should do if you are going to winterize:

1: Warm up the bike
2: Change the oil and oil filter
3: Warm up the bike
4: Take out the battery
5: Fill with fresh gasoline
6: Cover the bike
7: Walk away

Don't attempt to start the bike until spring. You don't NEED to do anything else. Starting the bike once in a while does absolutely NOTHING BENEFICIAL to the engine.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 To Knightslugger... just in case you think he might not speak for everyone I'll chip in and say ditto. Do not start the bike until you're ready to ride again. Properly store it and wait for spring.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:38 PM

dont forget to put stabil in the fuel

Old 12-03-2006, 10:10 PM

as i said, you don't NEED to do anything else. If you WANT to put Stay-bil in the tank, go for it. It's not going to make a difference one way or another.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:40 PM

You guys dont think there was any internal damage at 270f?? I would be worried myself. What do you think knightslugger?
Also what might have caused this anyhow, which was the original question.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:53 PM

i can feel your pain bushmaster. im in the 16degree frigid chicago area too and am in the process of winterizing my baby.
i tried that method of starting the bike for few minute with another bike and just ended up gumming up the carbs. i quickly
learned thats not the right way. i read that if you start the bike, you gotta ride it , can't recall exactly why. i may be wrong though. anyhow, im getting a battery tender this week, topping it off with fuel and covering my rr. fluids already changed. hope the overflow of coolant was the only problem you had.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:07 PM

LOL, I have no pain myself. I was kind of restating the question for pruchnicki44.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:35 PM

Well, 270 IS pretty hot. i don't think i'd worry myself too much over it, but i'm quite surprised that the bike didn't cool itself. I wonder if the fan ever came on? that would certainly cause it to overheat. Is the bike in a garage? You might want to strip the plastics off and check out the cooling system to make sure the head didn't warp and is causing air to be introduced into the cooling system. that too would cause an overheated situation.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:20 AM

i don't know what was going on, and my mechanical skills are limited at best. But in the morning i will take off the fairings and see what i can figure out. yes it is garage kept.