HELP! Fuel octane question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Fuel octane question

Okay, I know Im a dumb *** and everthing else. but heres the deal.

I went to fill up at the gas station and I rode home and everything. And for some reason I think I might have put 87 octane in my tank. I seriously cant remember. Im really freaking out now. What do I need to do? I think I might have put the 87 in it, the more I think about it, but still dont know.

Please Help!!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Default RE: HELP! Fue octane question

um,..... so what? what's the big deal? The bike doesn't need high octane fuel. 87 is fine.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:39 PM

^^^ Really? Hmmm, I was told only to use high octane on it. Also I thought the sticker on my tank said on to use high octane, cant recall though.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:54 PM

i was told the only thing gained by runnin higher octane was a bigger gas bill and less mpg...+ i was also told the bike may actually run a lil hotter...just what i was informed

on my 92 ninja i went from 140(92 octane)miles per tank to 170(87 octane)and both times i put very close to same gallons back in...didnt notice any hotter temps but the bike doesnt get warm enough to really notice tbh

Old 01-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Banned

Everything will be fine. Nothing to worry about. Fuel octane is a big discussion here. Do a search. Many folks wont use the higher octaine and beleive its just a waste of cash. I personally dont care, I pump the 92 here.

If you are really concerned you can go to your local autozone and purchase some octane booster, but I think it would just be a waste of time and money.

Nothing to lose sleep over.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:58 PM

can running the bike on lower octane really increase your miles per gallon? i never knew that. what else can a fellow commuter do to increase the mpg?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: azncupid22

can running the bike on lower octane really increase your miles per gallon? i never knew that. what else can a fellow commuter do to increase the mpg?
well, to at least the minimum PON of the Manufacture...

you can decrease your final drive ratio to bring your RPMs down. that'll give you more rear wheel turns to less engine RPMs.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 PM

so that means i have to change the sprockets right? which direction should i change it? more teeth or less?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: azncupid22

so that means i have to change the sprockets right? which direction should i change it? more teeth or less?
depends on if you're talking front or back

front you want to go up. rear, down. you want to bring your ratio closer.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 PM

Actually there is a reason for your bike requiring high octane. Nice to know that everyone who speaks on this forum is a mechanic. To answer your initial question, your bike will be fine, it will just run poorly until you use up the fuel. Now for everyone else, the octane rating of gasoline is the indication of its flash-point (for purposes of this conversation)... So, taking that into consideration: 87 will ignite more easily, and under less pressure than 93. High compression engines, like the ones on our bikes (also in high performance cars or anything with forced induction) require high octane fuel because the engines generate a great amount of pressure. What happens when you run a lower octane then the one required is the following: The fuel is vaporized and shot into the compression chamber of your engine via the injector on the compression stroke of the four stroke process. What is supposed to happen is that when the piston is at the top of the cylinder the spark plug fires and bang, down goes the piston and your bike makes power. Remember that fuel can ignite without spark, enough temp and pressure will do the trick. So when you put 87 in your bike, enough pressure can be created BEFORE the piston is all the way up in the cylinder, combined with the heat of your engine, the fuel can ignite prematurely. Now your upward moving piston is fighting the explosion of the fuel, because it needs to come all the way up before it goes down. This is BAD. If you do it once by mistake no sweat, but do it enough and it will do damage. Secondly, lower octane fuel is dirtier and creates more excess carbon when it burns. The carbon that clogs your injectors, exhaust, cat converters, etc... Realistically, its like 12 bucks to fill my CBR with high test, and 11.25 on the cheap stuff. You really wanna risk hurting your baby for 75 cents?

Quick Reply: HELP! Fuel octane question