Headlight Housing Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Housing Removal

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to explain to me the necessary steps to remove the headlight housing from my bike?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Old 09-13-2006, 03:24 AM
Default RE: Headlight Housing Removal

What bike do you have? Do you have a manual? That'll tell you everything you need to know. Do a search and you should be able to find one that's for your bike. You'll most likely have to take off the bottem fairing, side fairings, side panels, and upper panels.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:00 PM

should just have to remove the bolts that attatch the turnsignals then the upper fairing. It should pull right off. You will have to disconnect the wires that are attacted to the light bulbs. After that their should just be a few bolts keeping the headlights themselves on. You should be able to find a blow up diagram of the bike to help you out. If not email me and i'll send it to you.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:50 PM

If it is like my bike (06 cbr600rr) it is kind of a pain. You have to remove the mirrors and 2 of the windscreen bolts. Then find all of the plastic screws underneath and all around attaching it to the other fairings. It has been a while so I can't think of if there was anything else.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:06 AM

Hey thanks all for replying...

I have a '03 600RR and i need to remove the headlight housing to install my angel eyes!!!

I'll let y'all know how it turns out...thinking maybe this weekend ill tackle it!

Old 09-14-2006, 08:53 AM

I don't know how similar the housing of the 03-04 is to the 05-06 but i had to do this to replace my upper cowl.. It was a tideous job but not all to complicated and you don't have to unplug the head lights. There is a plug that you put into the back of the speedo for the power to all of it then there are 7 screws to take it off i believe.

The first four are on the outside corners of the lights top right and left and lower right and left. then there is one up top and two at the middle bottom area under a small rubber boot. Then you just slide it out.

(again i had the cowl off the bike so it was easier and i didn't have to deal with the speedo and bars etc in the way.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:09 AM

If i am wrong someone please correct me, as best i can remember(did the swap out back in january/feb) here is your pic!

Name:  headlight.gif
Views: 4810
Size:  331.0 KB

P.S.....It looks like the blinkers run through the headlight assembly which goes through to main instrument cluster which goes to your fingers, Soooooo Unplug those blinkers.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:36 PM

is there any trick in getting the top right and left screws off? one is just plain stuck, the other just spins. any help would be good thanks.

ORIGINAL: HighRevver

If i am wrong someone please correct me, as best i can remember(did the swap out back in january/feb) here is your pic!

P.S.....It looks like the blinkers run through the headlight assembly which goes through to main instrument cluster which goes to your fingers, Soooooo Unplug those blinkers.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:16 AM

Hey Bell....

Bad news...the same thing happened to me...my top right screw came out just fine but the top left one just spun and spun...

The problem is: the metal sheath that bites into the plastic fairing and provides the threads for the screw to screw into has stripped itself away from the plastic. What I did was drill out the screw using a drill bit of about the same diameter and just removed the screw and sheath....then I when reinstalled the headlight housing, i left that slot empty and the remaining screws held it just fine.

I was thinkin about gettin a replacement screw and somehow adhering the metal sheath back to the plastic fairing but I figured it was too much work and if the headlight housing was held secure w/o that screw...why even bother??

Hope you can get at least one out without damaging it...not sure how well it will hold up w/o either of those screws working...

Hope this helps

Old 11-13-2006, 02:38 AM

what i did and it worked well. i had replaced my headlights and you can undo the two bolts that hold the front clip on...have to take off some fairings..and undo the wire harnesses. and take it inside and slowly take it apart on the desk or what not you have...you have to take the mirrors off..but not the windscreen...cause i didnt have to.

Quick Reply: Headlight Housing Removal