Halo Lights...illegal??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Halo Lights...illegal??

well i think they are illegal here in texas but i dont think they are enforced...like a Euro car and their neon kits, here they never gotten told anything so i relly dont know...im gettin some for mine , they gonna be blue thogh..anyways was it hard to install? WEll tell me when you find out if they are illegal..or just call your local Dispatcher

Old 12-01-2006, 07:02 PM

Hey guys...thanks for all the helpful feedback and thanks to cbrfreek for posting that nice law link..

quil900...you can't see the halo lights during the day if they are turned on and i don't have a day pic of them yet

gearhead69...my halos are secured to the headlight housing in three places by epoxy. Not sure how well they handle landing wheelies, i don't do them on this bike.

and finally, txridder...installing these things are definitely for someone who knows what they are doing and you must have patience...you have to heat the glue holding the two pieces of the headlight housing together...some ppl suggest placing your headlight housing in the oven at a certain temperature ( I think 250ºF?) and others recommended heating it up with a heat gun...I actually sent my headlight housing to the person who I purchased the kit from and he installed the halo lights in my housing and I simply put the housing back in my bike...

when i tried using the oven, the housing started to smoke a little and the glue didn't get hot enough to pull apart...so DONT' TRY THAT

the heat gun worked better but the one I had in my garage produced tooo too too much heat, and plus I didn't have the right tip to place heat in the little crevices you need it

So i figured to let the guy install them and he did an excellent job...hope this helps

Thanks again everybody,

Steele

Old 12-06-2006, 02:24 PM

Anything other than white is illegal. It looks pretty damn cool though. I like em better where they originated[sm=smiley20.gif]
Question for ya though, where did you mount the ballasts? On a car the setup was real easy to install, however, on a bike with no room this could be tricky. I have them wired so that I can dim them in and out with my key fob, so they turn on and off with the interior lights.
Name:  BMWCHAD075.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  37.4 KB

Old 02-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Default cant see pic

i cant see the pic of ur halo lights, is there anyway u can send me a pic or repost it??? i installed some on my bike as well and really wanna know the limits of the law on this....

Old 02-19-2012, 03:17 PM

Being from Kentucky and living close to the Virgina state line. I can tell you anything other than 100% stock in Virgina you are gonna get a ticket for it. They are insanely strict in that state.

They can even take you to jail if you have radar detector.

EDIT: (HOLY CRAP, didn't know this was a 6 year old thread.) What state are you in Pashkamatlash? Each state is different

Last edited by jveach; 02-19-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 PM

Since it's revived, I'll post anyways. I'm from PA. I got pulled over with halos and the cop said that any modified headlights are illegal. My inspection guy said as long as they make light you are fine. It kind of irritates me that a cop can tell me something is illegal when it passes inspection just fine.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not put a switch-relay in there that is controlled by the neutral light? That way it's always on while in neutral and off while moving. That is the required way to install decoration lighting here, or in a car, through the handbrake.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And yeah, a heat gun is a pretty bad idea, even though the glass is of heat resistant type, a spot-load from a heat gun can make it go boom.